• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion How to Land a 3D airplane

gyro

GSN Contributor
Since reading this article, my landings have improved drastically. Now, I never chop the throttle during my approach. My method for keeping power on is to simply hold the stick on a comfortably minimal power setting while letting the plane lose altitude and or airspeed. Then, the throttle automatically holds the plane above stall speed before even getting to the point of stalling.

I know Ben referred to the throttle as a speed control, but using his methods, I can effectively use the throttle for descent control the way I've learned from other instructional materials. I've even read that glider pilots use their elevator to maintain airspeed. Having no throttle, Rate of Descent is controlled only with the spoilers.

I teach pilot training for the Air Force, and there are methods we teach students where we show them pitch (elevator) controls airspeed, and throttle controls altitude. I see you're describing the same technique to your landings, and I think that's great.
I typically retard my throttle to just above idle, begin by descent and approach, and control airspeed with my pitch. If I notice I'm needing to pitch way down to maintain airspeed, I add throttle to reduce my rate of descent.

Glad to read that the article helped you!

wedoitall

Im glad i found this article months ago. It got put in my "Ben-isms" folder. My runway is a short concrete pad that sticks up about a foot off the ground. I like to land into the wind and because of trees the approach is very tight and short. Landings have to be perfect. If your short you taking a dirt nap or even worse slam into the face of the pad. If you over shoot, again your tearing your plane up. Before i found his article on landing i had smacked my first edge in the face. Wasnt pretty. Fixed but it was ugly. Oh yea lol and on each side of the end of the pad theres square cutouts with gravel in them. So u have to be perfect down the middle of the pad on the rollout. Ill have to take a pic to show yas

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Im glad i found this article months ago. It got put in my "Ben-isms" folder. My runway is a short concrete pad that sticks up about a foot off the ground. I like to land into the wind and because of trees the approach is very tight and short. Landings have to be perfect. If your short you taking a dirt nap or even worse slam into the face of the pad. If you over shoot, again your tearing your plane up. Before i found his article on landing i had smacked my first edge in the face. Wasnt pretty. Fixed but it was ugly. Oh yea lol and on each side of the end of the pad theres square cutouts with gravel in them. So u have to be perfect down the middle of the pad on the rollout. Ill have to take a pic to show yas

Sounds to me like you need to find a new runway. What you got there is a land based carrier deck my friend! Why not put a tower mid field and paint some numbers on it, install a catwalk and add a little LSO (landing signal officer) on one end. You could call it the USS Model Eater! Definitely need pics of that. Was it made intentionally that way? If not what is its real use? It certainly sounds like a motivator for accurate landings.

wedoitall

Sounds to me like you need to find a new runway. What you got there is a land based carrier deck my friend! Why not put a tower mid field and paint some numbers on it, install a catwalk and add a little LSO (landing signal officer) on one end. You could call it the USS Model Eater! Definitely need pics of that. Was it made intentionally that way? If not what is its real use? It certainly sounds like a motivator for accurate landings.

It was supposes to be built as the kitchen part of a 4-H camp mess hall. From what i know its probably not gonna happen due to money. Its the only place i have to fly within a hour drive. My buddy says its a scale aircraft carrier. Its really tight especially on the turnaround and last leg of approach. Trees and a big building are really close to my runway. Ill get a pic of it today.

gyro

GSN Contributor
It was supposes to be built as the kitchen part of a 4-H camp mess hall. From what i know its probably not gonna happen due to money. Its the only place i have to fly within a hour drive. My buddy says its a scale aircraft carrier. Its really tight especially on the turnaround and last leg of approach. Trees and a big building are really close to my runway. Ill get a pic of it today.

You should spray paint some "wires" and practice carrier spot landings!

dth7

That will certainly hone your skills provided you have enough planes to last! I assume your a avatar pic is not taken at this field!

wedoitall

You should spray paint some "wires" and practice carrier spot landings!

we had talked about doing that.

That will certainly hone your skills provided you have enough planes to last! I assume your a avatar pic is not taken at this field!

I piled in my first 48" edge and the wattaplane slick on the face of the concrete pad BEFORE I read Bens article and learned to harrier land.

SnowDog

we had talked about doing that.

I piled in my first 48" edge and the wattaplane slick on the face of the concrete pad BEFORE I read Bens article and learned to harrier land.

Those must have been some spectacular landings to watch! :D

dth7

The "deck" must have been pitching badly in rough seas and you had a lousy LSO who didn't wave you off and "smack" into the fantail. Ouch!

wedoitall

Actually landed/crashed my buck 50 edge My first real crash. Got mad went home, grabbed the wattaplane and as i was walking out the door(mad) told Renea that i was gonna crash it also. Of course i was just mad and had no intention of crashing. First flight landing same thing ripped entire under carriage off. So now i have a rule, if i crash im done for the day. I wont put anything back up rest of the day. All funny now wasnt at the time. My very first 2 crashes same day, back to back. I had a mishap and 2 crashes since and i laugh now.

The "deck" must have been pitching badly in rough seas and you had a lousy LSO who didn't wave you off and "smack" into the fantail. Ouch!

It was a recon maverick flight no LSO. Actually late evening or a very dark overcast, from the corner of your eye on the last turn on approach the pad does look wavy. Especially when leaves are on the trees. Down low i basically fly inside a box of trees with a nice size community building on one corner. So when your flying low the leaves on the trees will mess with your eyes and depth perception. The trees are pretty close. From the face of the pad to the tree line is about 70 paces and i have short legs. On the left side of the pad they are about 15 paces. The on the right side its alil more open but nothing like most folks fly at. I have alot of fun there. Would like to have alil more room tho. I think it would aid me in learning a few certain manuveurs