• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Glassing and Painting techniques

tylerzx9r

100cc
Awesome, awesome, awesome....GREAT info....keep the tips coming! I'm printing all these out later and filing them.

As for cost...excluding the air compressor (already have that) What's a ballpark cost figure for a newbie: decent all-around gun for giant scale airplane work, tips, filters, respirator, water trap...and anything else?

My new shop/garage will have radiant heated floors and I can easily setup a plastic spray booth/fan/filter when needed.
It is really going to be tough to figure..... I say you could get away with all of those items for around 750.-1000. and that would be for good average stuff. If you go to the grade of paint guns we use everyday, your looking at a cost of 600.-900. per unit! I don't recommend that type of lute for this (not used enough to pay for itself) save your money for the hobby and look on places like Amazon for good deals! Before you purchase.... Ask us or someone you can trust if it is a good item, at a good cost! You also do not need the latest, greatest gun out there, so look for some used units that would be for sale, they will still work good for the amount you would use them.

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
Probably true. However if you are spraying any paint/clear coat/primer you should at least be using a dual-cartridge respirator; one that removes both VOC's and particulate.

+1 on the humidity.........also make sure you have a basic moisture separator and filter for your compressed air supply.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 297

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
That's what I'm talking about! What weight glass and what is your preferred method of application?

Thanks Terry. Minwax Policrylic on 3/4 oz glass. Paint is Nelson Hobbies water based polyurethane under Sherwin Williams Finish 1 clear coat. Applied with a DeVilbiss Starting Line HLVP gun and an Iwata air brush, exactly as what you show above. My 1st paint job (above) was months of research, practice and a lot of sanding the clearcoat.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Guys, venting flammable paint with a residential grade fan is dangerous. A protected motor is necessary. I don't remember what I bought but it encloses the electrical sparks around the motor.

Torquerolljoe

Wannabe Pilot!!
Guys, venting flammable paint with a residential grade fan is dangerous. A protected motor is necessary. I don't remember what I bought but it encloses the electrical sparks around the motor.
Yes you need to use an explosion proof motors. We use them in some of our petroleum facilities. The are pricey!

I personally like to stink up my whole house, I spray all my spinners in the basement, lay up glass in the house with poy vinyl ester resins. Shoot base and clear. Wife has been pretty understanding but I try to do most outside in the summer. I have learned not to spend or fret the little things shooting color. Blast it on, flow the clear and wet sand all the dust and bugs out with 1000 grit. Then buff with 3m cutting polish (part A) and finish with (part B).

Steve

SMJ spinners

crashflow

70cc twin V2
so could a person forego the glassing and just polyurethane the wood for a protective coating and an all 'natural' look?