• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D "Extreme" makeover Terryscustom edition

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Planes look great @Terryscustom I've never seen anyone fly a plane like you fly your ef extra. the only time it wasn't in the air was when you doink it.

Are you saying I'm a little hard on it perhaps?? LOL, I'm getting all giddy for warm weather now. Few glamour shots from last year just for fun:

Also, just ordered a fresh set of A123's from @Taildraggerrc and got free shipping! That's almost as good as staying at a holiday in express:too-cool:

Attachments

• 17699=12019-image253.jpg
    17699=12019-image253.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 327
  • 17699=12037-image326.jpg
    17699=12037-image326.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 366
  • 17699=12042-image339.jpg
    17699=12042-image339.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 339
  • image179 - Copy.jpg
    image179 - Copy.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Two Extreme Flight(s) officially RTF:dancing-chicken:

I'm pretty impressed with how this came out, so here are the totals:

EF Edge: Essentially set up as designed except I transferred the rudder servo to the tail, different tail wheel and built my own wings......oh, and bolted an EME70 on the nose;). Wingspan went from 88" to 90.5", it will not get SFG's and wing area increased by 250sq. I also used my own (Viper) custom airfoil for both root and tip. All up RTF weight as it sits is 20lb. 8oz. I had two of these in years past both set up with DLE55's, canisters and one had a smoke system that were both right at 20lb and they were great performers, so I'm really excited to try out these new rigid wings and more power!!!!!

EF Extra: OK, so those that know me know that I beat this thing like a redheaded step child ALL last year and smiled like downtown @tylerzx9r brown the whole time!!! Finally at DesMoines Harvest huck I embarrassed myself with a nice face plant on the tarmac.
So for this one I did all needed repairs, changed out the landing gear for much heavier TNT aluminum, new cowl, new canopy, completely new wings. Wingspan will be 92" once I get the new much smaller SFG's built. Wing area increased by just about 100sq. Wing root and tip chord have been changed. I used EF stock airfoil at the root (plus a little chord depth), and my own airfoil at the tip (plus chord change). Added two aileron servos for a total of four, and now have flaps, full length ailerons, short outer ailerons, and spoilerons. Weight as built stock with the DA70 was 20lb. 10oz. So with all these mods my new total RTF weight is 20lb. 14oz.

View attachment 11499 View attachment 11500
Very nicely done. :yesss:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Almost forgot the last and most important part......My FBI sticker!!!

Mid 40's today so I put some two month old gas in my Edge and fired it up. I ran the EME70 for three heat cycles and got a super smooth reliable low idle at 1200!! I set normal low at 1400 and high idle at 2000. Max RPM on third run-up was 6600 and change. At 6600 the Falcon 24x9 is just starting to rip a tiny bit in the cold air. I took a little cellphone video I'll load up later. With the foam wings there is almost NO vibration in this airplane at all. The wires don't even dance around inside:mario-banana:
_DSC0147.JPG

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Mad Machine Mahem....there outta be a law....Oh, that's right, there is;).

Meanwhile... I'm trying to get a simple little canopy deck built :msn_slap:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry,
Those batts going to fly there?
I would have thought they'd bee much further back with a twin in the nose.BJ Swope
Yes, although I actually have to use actual A123 cells to get an extra two ounces worth of batteries to balance!!! Either that or I need to do a non-lightened back plate for my TT spinner. When I cut the new wings I almost moved the wing tube socket back 1", but decided not to chance it. After adding the servo in the tail and the tailwheel turns out the tube 1" back would have been dead nuts on. Edge wings are harder to guesstimate component placement because the CG is so much further forward on the wing.