• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D "Extreme" makeover Terryscustom edition

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
No, I am NOT getting new hair and painted nails n junk!!      I'm going to do some makovers on a couple of Extreme Flight planes.

I have two victims here:

1 - EF 88" Edge 540.     This will be the third one of these I've owned....just plain stupid fun and tough as nails airframe.    I just picked this one up last weekend.     It was built as electric so other than a large switch hole it is not molested at all.      However, I discovered that it was hinged with wood glue so I am going to re-hinge and add some hinges because I do not plan to be very nice to it next summer
devil.gif

-Edge will be getting a split cowl, EME70 (because I have it on hand), tinted canopy, rear rudder servo and a few other little goodies.

2 - 91" EF Extra.     I bought this last year and built it with a DA70 for one purpose and one purpose alone......and as you can tell from the pictures it is pretty much mission accomplished.      I ended the running with my first ever giant scale "crash" because the rudder hinges broke and I was slipping in for a low KE pass.     I pulled it "almost" flat at the last second and saved the fuse.       But this plane has been cartwheeled in a low windy hover, both elevator counter balances torn off, rudder torn off, landing gear broken and well over 100 flights this summer with countless crankshafts and full throttle KE spins and blenders.

-Extra will be getting some new factory goodies, misc. repairs and foam core wings with split ailerons covered to match original.
image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

image006.jpg

image007.jpg

Damn, Terry.  You "could" go a little easier on the equipment, ya know....  Then you wouldn't be rebuilding, much like I am. 
sorrow.png

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Bunky F. Knuckle said
Damn, Terry.  You "could" go a little easier on the equipment, ya know....  Then you wouldn't be rebuilding, much like I am. 
sorrow.png
I "could" but I have planes that I pound on and others that I treat with a little respect.      I bought the 91 specifically for getting more comfortable with low inverted harriers, low rollers and low KE passes.      Get the "pucker" elevation a little lower in other words.      It has served me well.      The Edge, I have not owned one sine my fingers started to get smarter so I'm looking forward to doing things I could not do with my other ones
nodding-yes-by-a-very-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif

OK, I did a little bit of cleanup on the 91 but mostly just further inspection for damage.      The wings were cut, wing tube holes cut and root angles cut.      Next I plugged the ends of the wing tube sleeve with balsa and glued the sleeves in.

Tomorrow we'll do some wood spars and get some carbon and sheeting lined up.
image001-1.jpg

image002-1.jpg

image003-1.jpg

image004-1.jpg

image005-1.jpg

Looking Good Terry! 

I am excited to see how the 88 does with the eme 70, and looking forward to the flight results of the 91 with foam core wings!!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Tseres said
Compare weight when your finished.
I plan to.    I'm going to do a little coring after sheeting to see where I come out but I am also going to two Ti geared servos per wing from one steel geared servo so my coal is to end up with basically the same weight with little to no aileron flex compared to stock.

So I'm getting the wings prepped by adding a wood spar and carbon unidirectional laminate.     This time I am using basswood spars because they are strong, light and will flex quite a bit without breaking.      You will notice that I omit the short-rib at the end of the wing tube.     What I do instead is glue the foam block at the end of the tube back in with titebond glue that foams and sets up very rigid.      Then I add these spars that are sized to go down and just touch the ends of the wing tube phenolic sleeve.

To cut the slot I am using a small hand router with a 1/4" router bit and a collar.      I stick a pin or toothpick in the foam at the end of the wing tube and measure the depth to the wing tube sleeve.     Cut my spars to that size and set up the router.      I'm using a simple pc. of light ply for a fence that is held in place with some pins.     I set the depth of the cut and practice on some scrap to make sure my fit is correct and the spar fits.

Once these are cut I cut some strips of unidirectional laminate.      This is simply cut with a straight edge and a utility knife.      I install the spar with ply glue (just a small bead) after a very light mist of water on the glue (don't soak it!!!!).     If it is humid outside, don't wet it at all.     Place the spar inside the slot with only one edge glued (it will expand around).     Then I use a water based glue to adhere the unidirectional to the foam but use it sparingly.      Apply the glue to the "more dull" side of the laminate.     The "more shiny" side up will be sanded lightly before we sheet.      I secure these down with tape and lay flat for a couple hours to set up.

image009-1.jpg

image001-2.jpg

image002-2.jpg

image003-2.jpg

image004-2.jpg

image005-2.jpg

image006-1.jpg

image007-1.jpg

image008.jpg

image010.jpg

image011.jpg

image012.jpg

image013.jpg

image014.jpg

image015.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I always enjoy your make overs... What does your wife think of them? Hee hee..... Looking forward to seeing another masterpiece.
fist-pump-and-yes-smiley-emoticon.gif