• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Extreme Flight Owners

Alky6

150cc
reyn3545;19815 wrote: Well... there's one less Extreme Flight owner in the world this week... but I'm sure dozens will fall in behind to replace me.

I had my original 91" Extra since the first batch shipped in...loved it. I got my thumbs turned around in a rolling circle about a month ago, and paid the ultimate price. No problem.. I bought another one, send the motor back for DA to check it out, and started putting the new bird together.. Last week, I had it at the field with no intention other than to get the rudder/aileron and rudder/elevator mixes set. They were already pretto close from the last plane, but everything always requires a little tweeking just based on CG, etc..

It was a little windy, which is generally not a problem.. but the wind last Sunday kept getting inside my sunglasses and tearing up my eyes. I wear contacts, so that just made it a little worse. I was flying down the runway, maybe 20 feet in the air, nothing special, and went to make a turn to come back across the runway and either the wind, my tears or a combination of both made my contact lens slide out of position on my eye. I couldn't tell which direction the plane was headed, what side was up, etc.. all I could see was a fuzzy thing out in the distance. I knew I needed to get high until the contact re-centered itself, so I added throttle and elevator... right into the dirt.

My contact had shifted once on an earlier flight, and i was high enough that I was able to circle around for 10 seconds or so until things re-centered, then I landed.

I usually wear just one contact, or monovision... that gives me good "distance" vision from one eye, and good reading vision from the other. Sometimes when I go to the field, I'll put a contact in the other eye just to have better depth perception, but not always. The only problem I ever have is when I make one of those long gliding approaches to the runway, about half the time I'm probably 20 feet further out than I think I am. If I make a short, rounded turn into the runway, it works perfect every time. Very strange.

Anyway, that's 2 EF Extras balled up in a month or so. I wasn't so disappointed about the first one, things happen, and that had been a good plane. The second one was a stupid mistake for flying in the wind and knowing that if the contact shifted at the wrong time, it could get ugly.

So, from now on, definately 2 contacts at the field.

And I bought a CARF MX-2 to replace the Extra. I had one a few years ago, it was a great flying plane also. It will have a 3W 157 CS Twin Spark in it. Oddly enough, this will be the first time in many years that I've been without SOMETHING from EF, and something from DA. My other plane has a Moki radial.

Anyway.. you guys that can get them up and down in one piece... keep up the good work, I'll be admiring from the sidelines!

I have had similar problems with my contacts. I have been changing sunglasses to find a pair that blocks the wind. Also had it happen going 100 mph in a race boat and lost vision, very scary (a full face helmet fixed with the lower vents closed). FWIW I have found larger sunglasses with the most wrap around to work best. Found shallow lenses (not going down toward your cheeks very far) to be horrible. Fortunately, I haven't lost an airframe to it, but there have been times I thought I would. I have been seriously considering just going and buying a prescription pair of sunglasses and just plan on taking my contacts out at the field. -- Very frustrating ---

-Paul

reyn3545

100cc
I just recently swapped to daily wear lenses at the recommendation of my eye doctor. They are very thin and comfortable, but also much more apt to slide out of place. I never had problems like this with the extended wear lenses, but I did have a problem with leaving them in for way too long.

Ant

50cc
Oh man, not again.. that really bites, sorry to hear it. I too have had my eyes tear up when flying, it was due to sweating and sunscreen going into my eyes.

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
Ah, the old sunscreen in the eyes trick... Been there done that.

What I particularly enjoy is when I'm in a low hover, and a mixture of sunscreen and sweat runs down into my eyes..

Soooooo much fun. ;-)

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I had an "incident" with my 91" Extra a couple weekends ago. Ended up breaking the landing gear. I had a used set of LG from an 88" Edge in my garage, so I thought what the heck, lets try it. Looks great on the plane, but it was a little soft as they were previously readjusted after a hard landing. I decided to try a spring between the legs and try to firm them up a bit. Here is the result. So far it works great.
Web-viper-vents-006.jpg

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
ericb said

I had an "incident" with my 91" Extra a couple weekends ago. Ended up breaking the landing gear. I had a used set of LG from an 88" Edge in my garage, so I thought what the heck, lets try it. Looks great on the plane, but it was a little soft as they were previously readjusted after a hard landing. I decided to try a spring between the legs and try to firm them up a bit. Here is the result. So far it works great.
Web-viper-vents-006.jpg

This is my beater plane, so it has seen better days. That is why I tried this before ordering a new set of gear.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
ericb said
ericb said
This is my beater plane, so it has seen better days. That is why I tried this before ordering a new set of gear.
Only thing I would do different is use two springs and go form lower left to upper right and lower right to upper left in an "X".      I just ordered some springs for my cub and they come in packages of 3 so I will have at least two extra (I need four to replace the rubber bands).      You are welcome to try them if you like.     They are precision springs with a load of 1.7-16.5 lbs of force and only 3" long!!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm really glad you got that plane Eric, I've never see you fly so good or have so much fun with a plane!!!!      Glad I got to make it out tonight.