• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Extreme Flight Owners

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
AEROSHELDON;19741 wrote: Thanks! They look awesome. Did you do the WRE axles too?

White Rose Axles are the best!! I've harrier landed 40# planes on them and they stay solid. They are an investment, but if I sell A plane I usually keep them and install factory axles. I've got some that are almost four years old.......still perfect.

Awesome vid. Jase!!!

Phil Griffin;19748 wrote: Does WR sell axles that'll fit EF gear?

vern smith is the owner and he is awesome!! if you tell him the inner diameter of the hole in your gear, he will give you a spacer. call him and talk to him, very nice guy!!!

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
orthobird;19756 wrote: vern smith is the owner and he is awesome!! if you tell him the inner diameter of the hole in your gear, he will give you a spacer. call him and talk to him, very nice guy!!!

I may do that. Tks.

reyn3545

100cc
Well... there's one less Extreme Flight owner in the world this week... but I'm sure dozens will fall in behind to replace me.

I had my original 91" Extra since the first batch shipped in...loved it. I got my thumbs turned around in a rolling circle about a month ago, and paid the ultimate price. No problem.. I bought another one, send the motor back for DA to check it out, and started putting the new bird together.. Last week, I had it at the field with no intention other than to get the rudder/aileron and rudder/elevator mixes set. They were already pretto close from the last plane, but everything always requires a little tweeking just based on CG, etc..

It was a little windy, which is generally not a problem.. but the wind last Sunday kept getting inside my sunglasses and tearing up my eyes. I wear contacts, so that just made it a little worse. I was flying down the runway, maybe 20 feet in the air, nothing special, and went to make a turn to come back across the runway and either the wind, my tears or a combination of both made my contact lens slide out of position on my eye. I couldn't tell which direction the plane was headed, what side was up, etc.. all I could see was a fuzzy thing out in the distance. I knew I needed to get high until the contact re-centered itself, so I added throttle and elevator... right into the dirt.

My contact had shifted once on an earlier flight, and i was high enough that I was able to circle around for 10 seconds or so until things re-centered, then I landed.

I usually wear just one contact, or monovision... that gives me good "distance" vision from one eye, and good reading vision from the other. Sometimes when I go to the field, I'll put a contact in the other eye just to have better depth perception, but not always. The only problem I ever have is when I make one of those long gliding approaches to the runway, about half the time I'm probably 20 feet further out than I think I am. If I make a short, rounded turn into the runway, it works perfect every time. Very strange.

Anyway, that's 2 EF Extras balled up in a month or so. I wasn't so disappointed about the first one, things happen, and that had been a good plane. The second one was a stupid mistake for flying in the wind and knowing that if the contact shifted at the wrong time, it could get ugly.

So, from now on, definately 2 contacts at the field.

And I bought a CARF MX-2 to replace the Extra. I had one a few years ago, it was a great flying plane also. It will have a 3W 157 CS Twin Spark in it. Oddly enough, this will be the first time in many years that I've been without SOMETHING from EF, and something from DA. My other plane has a Moki radial.

Anyway.. you guys that can get them up and down in one piece... keep up the good work, I'll be admiring from the sidelines!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Well if it makes you feel better I dorked mine up last weekend as well. This is basically my first crash in anything larger than 1.20 glow bomb. I lost count at 125 flights on this plane since Spring so I'm guessing between 175 and 200 flights on it. As usual last weekend I flew it like I hated it all weekend. After several hundred blenders, pop tops and crankshafts the rudder hinges finally let go. The bad part is I was in KE coming down for a low KE pass and it kept sinking (four rudder hinges broke and others were pulling out). After the instant "Oh $&!#) got it flat just in time to dive it in pretty hard, but at least it did not hit in KE or it would have been totaled. I will re-build it and likely order another one to have on the shelf for next year!! With the DA70 on the nose, simply the most fun 3D bash plane I've had.

I bought it for something fairly inexpensive but large to get more comfortable with low inverted harriers and low rollers. Let's just say it served it's purpose well!!

19825=12778-image254.jpg
19825=12778-image254.jpg
19825=12779-image339.jpg
19825=12779-image339.jpg
19825=12780-image341.jpg
19825=12780-image341.jpg
19825=12775-oops.jpg
19825=12775-oops.jpg

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
Terryscustom;19825 wrote: Well if it makes you feel better I dorked mine up last weekend as well. This is basically my first crash in anything larger than 1.20 glow bomb. I lost count at 125 flights on this plane since Spring so I'm guessing between 175 and 200 flights on it. As usual last weekend I flew it like I hated it all weekend. After several hundred blenders, pop tops and crankshafts the rudder hinges finally let go. The bad part is I was in KE coming down for a low KE pass and it kept sinking (four rudder hinges broke and others were pulling out). After the instant "Oh $&!#) got it flat just in time to dive it in pretty hard, but at least it did not hit in KE or it would have been totaled. I will re-build it and likely order another one to have on the shelf for next year!! With the DA70 on the nose, simply the most fun 3D bash plane I've had.

I bought it for something fairly inexpensive but large to get more comfortable with low inverted harriers and low rollers. Let's just say it served it's purpose well!!

They are just a whole lotta fun... I've enjoyed the heck outta mine so much I'm tempted to order another DA-70 and build up the one I bought for a parts supply. Of course when I do this, I guess I'll have to have another one for parts huh.. Yeah, I think that'll go over really well with the boss. ;-)

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
reyn3545;19815 wrote: Well... there's one less Extreme Flight owner in the world this week... but I'm sure dozens will fall in behind to replace me.

I had my original 91" Extra since the first batch shipped in...loved it. I got my thumbs turned around in a rolling circle about a month ago, and paid the ultimate price. No problem.. I bought another one, send the motor back for DA to check it out, and started putting the new bird together.. Last week, I had it at the field with no intention other than to get the rudder/aileron and rudder/elevator mixes set. They were already pretto close from the last plane, but everything always requires a little tweeking just based on CG, etc..

It was a little windy, which is generally not a problem.. but the wind last Sunday kept getting inside my sunglasses and tearing up my eyes. I wear contacts, so that just made it a little worse. I was flying down the runway, maybe 20 feet in the air, nothing special, and went to make a turn to come back across the runway and either the wind, my tears or a combination of both made my contact lens slide out of position on my eye. I couldn't tell which direction the plane was headed, what side was up, etc.. all I could see was a fuzzy thing out in the distance. I knew I needed to get high until the contact re-centered itself, so I added throttle and elevator... right into the dirt.

My contact had shifted once on an earlier flight, and i was high enough that I was able to circle around for 10 seconds or so until things re-centered, then I landed.

I usually wear just one contact, or monovision... that gives me good "distance" vision from one eye, and good reading vision from the other. Sometimes when I go to the field, I'll put a contact in the other eye just to have better depth perception, but not always. The only problem I ever have is when I make one of those long gliding approaches to the runway, about half the time I'm probably 20 feet further out than I think I am. If I make a short, rounded turn into the runway, it works perfect every time. Very strange.

Anyway, that's 2 EF Extras balled up in a month or so. I wasn't so disappointed about the first one, things happen, and that had been a good plane. The second one was a stupid mistake for flying in the wind and knowing that if the contact shifted at the wrong time, it could get ugly.

So, from now on, definately 2 contacts at the field.

And I bought a CARF MX-2 to replace the Extra. I had one a few years ago, it was a great flying plane also. It will have a 3W 157 CS Twin Spark in it. Oddly enough, this will be the first time in many years that I've been without SOMETHING from EF, and something from DA. My other plane has a Moki radial.

Anyway.. you guys that can get them up and down in one piece... keep up the good work, I'll be admiring from the sidelines!

Oh no Mike...

That thought hurts me all the way over here... I'm sorry

reyn3545

100cc
Yea, that was a tough one. It wasn't the first airplane crash, and it unfortunately probably won't be the last one, but every one hurts.