• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 76/83" MXS

DA-35 now shipping. Wish we could say the same for the MXS! Patience in effect!
I have #65 in my hot little hands now. (Though I am still waiting for a muffler.)
I'm not sure where this thing will end up. Probably in the nose of an Extreme Flight 74" Edge or Laser, whichever arrives first.
The first couple gallons will likely be in a 78" Extra.

As for the 76/85" MXS... I'm definitely still going with the DA50 for that one.
I'm also clearing a spot, gathering all the bits, and getting ready to put it together. Can't be very much longer now :D

I got #50 at Nall. Same on the muffler. I will order it later this week I suppose, but I have the same airframe issue. I like my VVRC 40 on my 78 and see no reason to change it. I have learned my lesson waiting for containers to arrive and delivery dates slipping.

My MXS will be electric powered.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Thanks to Enterprise, I tested the 22 inch props on the Motrolfly DM5335 with the 195Kv on 12S, and Xoar's 22x10 PJN ran right up to 32.2 pounds on the Rapala. The Castle log data says I was at 7285 RPMs at the time.

The DM5335 with the attached cross mount, bolts, and standoffs, is 39.4 ounces, my Castle HV120 is 5.5 ounces, and my 2x 6S 5000 batts are 55.1 ounces, so the whole power system is right at 100 oz or 6.25 pounds, installed. Add my 5 servos plus hardware and extensions, Powersafe Rx with 2x 2S 2100 Rx batts, and the 78 Extra 300 would come in at 14.5 pounds.

Still no clue what the empty weight of the MXS will be, or the wing area, so if anyone finds anything out, please let me know.

32 pounds on a 14.5 pound plane is 2.2-to-1 thrust to weight, and about 300W per pound. At 14.5 pounds, the 78 Extra 300 comes in at a 28 wing loading, which is still very good for any flying style with a plane this size. I think that the 88 Edge 540 comes in at a 30 WL at 18.75 pounds.

Curious to see where the empty weight of the MXS comes in at.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Once again, Tom flying the 14 pound 78 Extra swinging a 22x10 Xoar PJN to only 25 pounds on the A60-16M and 10S. It's 14 because it's also the gas version of the airframe, which adds about 6 to 8 ounces with the beefed up motor box and the pipe tunnel. So add another 8 ounces to the power and control system with another 7 pounds of thrust, and I think we have the definition of silly-stupid power on a purpose-built 3D electric airframe with an 84 inch wingspan.. the MXS.

[video=youtube;M4Ul6tsDgLU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Ul6tsDgLU[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
I don't want to suggest that this is a recommendation power system for the 78 Extra 300, because my current motor setup in the 78, with batts and ESC, comes in at 4.1 pounds. The DM5335 with all the other power components weighs in at about 6.1 pounds, so I'm not sure how it will balance with this system under the hood.

But we already know the MXS flew with the DM5335 and 2x 6S 5000's at SEFF, so that should clear the way for this power system's viability on the MXS.

Last edited by a moderator: