• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLA Engines

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I'm at a little bit of a standstill waiting for new exhaust for the 128. In the meantime, I have started a build thread on the Edge the DLA is mounted to. I suspect the next update here will be once the new muff's arrive and smoke taps are installed. I can't wait to see if this little guy smokes as big time as my sons 222 on his behemoth Edge.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I'm winding down to the last few details before I put this 128 in the air on it's new ride. I would however like some input from all you out there. With really great success, my son and I have eliminated a lot of possible failure points in our setups. So far we've not had so much as a hiccup. As previously mentioned, I plan to use just one Opto-kill for both ignition modules. Main power source is one port from the SF board. The test runs thus far have proved to show no issues. My questions are this. First, has anyone done anything similar to this and what has your outcome been? Second question, other than both ignition modules being fed by one power source, should there be a concern for redundant power source for the ignition modules in the event one should fail? I'm now second guessing myself on this setup. Looking for a little feedback from you fellas.

Lojik

70cc twin V2
Stang this is all down to personal preference mate, I am an avid user of the Tech Aero Ubec and have seen twin ignitions being run from one Ubec with no issues to date, others prefer to run twin Ubecs or twin power sources to each ignition, imho i think if you over complicate its just adding more to the possible failure list

Ignitions draw very little power and are not subject to loads like servos so the draw from a single output from the SF board should imo be perfectly fine, the SF board I presume is running on two packs is it not? so you have redundancy in the whole board anyways, no point in adding redundancy upon redundancy it just gets messy, I have not heard of a SF ignition power port failing but don't use SF so cannot help there

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Stang this is all down to personal preference mate, I am an avid user of the Tech Aero Ubec and have seen twin ignitions being run from one Ubec with no issues to date, others prefer to run twin Ubecs or twin power sources to each ignition, imho i think if you over complicate its just adding more to the possible failure list

Ignitions draw very little power and are not subject to loads like servos so the draw from a single output from the SF board should imo be perfectly fine, the SF board I presume is running on two packs is it not? so you have redundancy in the whole board anyways, no point in adding redundancy upon redundancy it just gets messy, I have not heard of a SF ignition power port failing but don't use SF so cannot help there
Yes sir, you are correct. Two Fromeco Li-Ion Relion 7.4 5200mah batts to the SF. As with all my setups, I totally agree with not complicating things. That is why I endeavor to remove as many links of the chain that can possible fail. On my DLE55 powered Edge, two 2600 Fromeco's into SF feeding the entire plane. Servos, ignition, everything. No problems. On my DLE 111 PAU 300, Two Fromeco's feeding everything but ignition. One 3400 Lipo on that. On my two big birds with the 3dubs, same setup as the PAU, Two 5200's for everything except ignition. One 2600 Li-ion on each ignition on those. No Ibecs, no UBECS. Just straight in. No issues with any of them. On this one, I wanted to go one step further and eliminate a couple more possible failure points. So basically, two 5200's into SF. 8 Hitec 7954's and one Hitec 5665 for throttle, sky writer smoke pump and both ignition modules pulling through one Opto-kill switch. Everything being run straight off the SF. I felt this was about as clean and simple as it could possibly be. The only draw back I had was redundant battery power for the two ignitions. But since I posed the question earlier, I discovered the Opto-kills deliver up to 20 volts and 16 amps output. Since ignition modules pull so little in amp draw, (Like you pointed out), I am now more than reasonably confidant it will be a clean system with no problems.

Thank you for your insight and your knowledge. I do appreciate it.:way_to_go:

M

Matt

@stangflyer I would not worry too much about your set up... then again I don't have a 4 cylinder (yet) but your set up sounds solid. I have flown my 116 quite a bit more on the beast still being gentle on it as its still breaking in and all I can say is it is a fantastic engine so far at least still holding tons of compression and a real power house

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
@stangflyer I would not worry too much about your set up... then again I don't have a 4 cylinder (yet) but your set up sounds solid. I have flown my 116 quite a bit more on the beast still being gentle on it as its still breaking in and all I can say is it is a fantastic engine so far at least still holding tons of compression and a real power house
That's awesome to hear Matt. Just out of curiosity, what prop you running on your 116?

M

Matt

@stangflyer on the 116 I started with a vess stealth 27B for break in.. that prop was amazing the engine was a bit rich but pulled the big draggy biplane around great. however, I just switched to the vess stealth 28B and tuned the engine a little more and the last 2 flights it was an entirely different animal. I am using stock mufflers and with it leaned out a little, it has the easy ability to rip the snot out of the vess prop and power is off the charts! I have never flown an airplane with such a power to weight ratio. I am not much of a 3d guy but can do the basics. when punching out of a hover now the airplane accelerates like it was shot from a gun! on the flip side with no throttle curve yet, the power is still extremely manageable and easy to keep the airplane very quiet yet still fly through the advanced imac sequence (I should say fumble through advanced)

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
On the 128 we tried a 25x12 falcon 3 blade and a 26x12 mejzlik 3 blade and the engine was much happier with the 25x12. When our friend gets his new engine I think I will break out some of my DA-100 props and give them a try.