• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Delro Raven 3.1M build

Docdds11

New to GSN!
Docdds11,
I am hesitantly letting you know that I am on the exact step of installing the firewall in my 2.5M Raven from Delro right now...I hope to have it done and posted in my build thread this week...the preliminary mock up is already there. Check it out because while there is no "simple reference" for the firewall it's placement does sort of fall right into place once you figure out the reference locations ( and my thread will show you how I did it). I am sure the ARF would be awesome but I love to build and they want a pretty penny for that ARF service.
I hear ya that scheme is fantastic as well. Can't wait to see your build manifest into a beautiful aircraft.

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
Docdds11,
I am sure the ARF would be awesome but I love to build and they want a pretty penny for that ARF service.

Waco.... You're doing a nice job on the build. Understand that the completely built planes by Delro are custom built competition ready planes. If you compare it to a custom built Carden or dalton... It's a deal.

I can tell you when I build Daltons for customers it is about 3000-3500, just for the build and cover/paint, plus the kit and materials/carbon parts. So that is $4500-$6000 just for the airframe. These aren't some crap plywood arf.... As you can see the materials are very nice. Lol...

Wacobipe

100cc
Waco.... You're doing a nice job on the build. Understand that the completely built planes by Delro are custom built competition ready planes. If you compare it to a custom built Carden or dalton... It's a deal.

I can tell you when I build Daltons for customers it is about 3000-3500, just for the build and cover/paint, plus the kit and materials/carbon parts. So that is $4500-$6000 just for the airframe. These aren't some crap plywood arf.... As you can see the materials are very nice. Lol...
I have no doubt it is worth it...I was just saying that it is an expensive alternative to building one yourself...if anyone looks at the time involved in building a complete aircraft there is no doubt it's a steal on an hourly basis.

Jlc

70cc twin V2
I have no doubt it is worth it...I was just saying that it is an expensive alternative to building one yourself...if anyone looks at the time involved in building a complete aircraft there is no doubt it's a steal on an hourly basis.
I don't even want to think about the hours because I spend about 3-4 hours looking and rethinking for every hour of actual work.lol.

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
Lol... So true. It goes like this, you look at it and come up with a few different ways to do something, and you spend two hours figuring this out. Then you go for it, that takes 15 minutes to actually do. Then you look at it for 30 more minutes admiring your work or how awesome it looks. Then the cycle starts over for the next part!

Wacobipe

100cc
MattyMatt...

What it the incidence angle of your horizontal stab compared to the wing?

My 2.5 has a very specific location for the wing (set by 2tubes plus the wing fillet).... And the main spar tube has an accurate location for the horizontal stab, but there is no reference as to the rotational angle ( incidence) of the horizontal stab.

I know it's common for models to be set both surfaces at zero, others have indicated an aerobatic model flies most neutral if the wing is at a positive 1/2 degree related the the tail...They claim this positive wing incidence negates the effects on gravity in level flight so throttle positions don't effect level flight, and then you need only slightly more down elevator for inverted flight, which you'd need for inverted flight anyway.

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
Waco... I can check.

Just to explain a bit about the 1/2 positive setup in the wing, this is really just a setup thing and has more to do with flying style. For example, the more nose heavy you want the plane, the more the positive in the wing would help. These are very fine adjustments that honestly, unless you are really out flying competitively, you would really not notice much of.

For example, I actually have a positive, positive setup in my Dalton for the way I want the plane to feel. (shushh... no one knows, lol)

I'll check with Delro to see where they say to put it. I can tell you wherever they put it on my 3.1 Raven it is absolutely perfect. It is the truest airplane i've ever flown, pattern or IMAC. I think it has 1 and 1.5% pitch mix, whereas most good IMAC planes are more like 5-8%.