• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton 300 ml build thread.

Looking good Cam! Yes, it is easier to have a friend help when you have to measure such long distances. I usually build by myself so I have to use all sorts of little jigs to hold things in place. Glad it worked it out for you.

tl3

50cc
orthobird;2768 wrote: here is the phenolic balsa interface on the fuselage for the wing tube. also looks like i got a good amount of glue around it.

time to clean up and go to work.

when i get home, i will sheet the bottom of the fuselage near to the gear plate. i will need to get some advice on what muffler system to use on this bird, that way i can plan how to open the tunnel holes and such things!!!

Fwiw, having built a number of these, here is a mod I have done on all but the first one, just a suggestion: I like to sheet the center section of the fuse bottom all the way back to the tail gear plate. This does a couple of things for ya - dramatically improves the torsional rigidity of the plane, and makes covering less of a hassle. I use medium to light density 1/16 balsa. If I still have any pics of the last one I built I'll post them if you're interested.

t

tl3;2935 wrote: Fwiw, having built a number of these, here is a mod I have done on all but the first one, just a suggestion: I like to sheet the center section of the fuse bottom all the way back to the tail gear plate. This does a couple of things for ya - dramatically improves the torsional rigidity of the plane, and makes covering less of a hassle. I use medium to light density 1/16 balsa. If I still have any pics of the last one I built I'll post them if you're interested.

t

I thought very seriously about doing this when I built mine and really wish I had. When you pick it up, it could sure use a little more of something on the bottom to support the weight. I hadn't even thought of the added strength which is a huge bonus! Great thoughts :)

sparkx38

50cc
tl3;2935 wrote: Fwiw, having built a number of these, here is a mod I have done on all but the first one, just a suggestion: I like to sheet the center section of the fuse bottom all the way back to the tail gear plate. This does a couple of things for ya - dramatically improves the torsional rigidity of the plane, and makes covering less of a hassle. I use medium to light density 1/16 balsa. If I still have any pics of the last one I built I'll post them if you're interested.

t

As I was helping him last night I asked if the bottom would get any sheeting and was surprised when Cam told me they only called for it around the gear area. Was thinking the whole time it would make covering easier and easier to handle the plane.

tl3

50cc
Here's another minor and easy mod. This helps prevent deep scalloping in the cheeks between F2 and the MB back when covering. I don't seem have my photo files anymore, so here is a doctored pic from earlier in the thread. The pic explains it best:

Use scrap 1/8 x 1/4 balsa to internally brace the stringers from the gear plate to the bottom longeron. They should be a friction fit, then just wick in a little thin ca to secure them.

t

3269=1516-cheek stringer mod.jpg
3269=1516-cheek stringer mod.jpg

Flatspinjim;2970 wrote: Looks great Cam. Make sure you set your stab incedences before you put the turtle deck on.

I love this advice!! thank you. i even told Stacey that yesterday. Hey, i am a real nervous/anxious/critical about that. i have lost sleeping trying to figure it out, and finally, after weeks and months, came to that conclusion myself, with the help of others. but for all others, when they build there, get the wing and stab incidence set 1st, then glue on the turtle-deck.

tl3;3269 wrote: Here's another minor and easy mod. This helps prevent deep scalloping in the cheeks between F2 and the MB back when covering. I don't seem have my photo files anymore, so here is a doctored pic from earlier in the thread. The pic explains it best:

Use scrap 1/8 x 1/4 balsa to internally brace the stringers from the gear plate to the bottom longeron. They should be a friction fit, then just wick in a little thin ca to secure them.

t

thank you very much!! i sure will do this!!

i will do that tomorrow in am.