• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Curtiss XP-55 Ascender

Larry B

70cc twin V2
A few photos of the progress,

P1010006.JPG
P1010003.JPG
P1010005.JPG

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Looking good Larry! I'll bet figuring out just how you wanted to do the Canard/Elevators was a challenge.

Larry B

70cc twin V2
Thank you for the compliments, I decided to make the canards traditional built-up construction. I felt it might make them a bit lighter and as it turned out for once I was correct!
I just finished glassing the first side of the canards but before I did that I had to get a "all together" shot.

P1010004.JPG

Larry B

70cc twin V2
Well as usual I am disappointed with this electric crap. Today Brenda and I did 4 very short full power runs, we got 6390 RPM with a Zinger 22 X 8 which is good. Then we went for a long (only 4 minutes) ground run.
At 3:50 the thing shut it's self down, I guess due to low voltage? So as of now it looks like I will only be able to fly this thing for under 4 minutes safely unless I change something. I don't know what voltage the speed controller is set at to shut down, hopefully I didn't mess up the batteries. The instructions for programming the speed controller are really confusing so I think I'll take it up to my local hobby shop and see if their "electric expert" can answer my questions.
Either way I have a feeling that my current power set up is not correct, there is no way the model could be flown in a contest with this set-up.

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Larry, can you give us a short rundown of your setup? Motor, ESC, battery. Also did you check the battery with a LiPo checker to see how much capacity was left?

I'm not an electric expert by any means, but I do fly helicopters so I am fairly familiar with it. They may be someone here that can help.

Larry B

70cc twin V2
Sure thing,
I have 2 of the Pulse 6S 5000ma LiPo's in series (65C rating), the motor is a Rim Fire 65cc out runner, and the speed controller is a Castle Phoenix Edge HVf 160. I have the Venom Pro Quad charger that will charge 4 packs at the same time.
One of my packs never did take a full charge like the other one, the charger said that pack "A" was full where as pack "B" never did say that. Maybe pack "B" is bad?
I also have no idea how to see how discharged a pack is, I'm sure the charger will do it but it's above my head.

I am lucky in that my local hobby shop has a "electric guru" that is very willing to help a clueless modeler such as myself.

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Larry, get yourself one of these or something similar. There cheap and can save your airplane. I got in the habit of always checking packs right before I strap them in. That way you know you put a charged battery in and not the one you just flew with.

They will tell you total voltage, cell voltage, and percentage of capacity remaining. All for less than $20.
https://www.motionrc.com/products/g...=19057595078&gclid=CIC5nLP2wc8CFVM2gQod3swARA

648pt_checker_620__24884.1391495290.1020.1020_1024x1024.jpeg