• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cold weather flying

dribar

70cc twin V2
Just went out flying this afternoon. Boy it was windy and cold! I can now say a 15-20 mph cross-runway wind is manageable on a 50cc Pilot yak 54 with a demon cortex installed :) I can't really say it was fun... but the cortex is phenominal.

Demon cortex?

SnowDog

ouch.,really sorry to see that. I don't think the wind was your enemy...this thing can fly in any wind...I'm thinking your rate setting was wrong? Did you start it on high rates? Those ailerons are massive and it looked like every time you tried to move them it started rifle rolling which is an indication they are too sensitive.

I know post mortem observations are sometimes obvious, but always start a new plane on LOW rates...until you get the feel for it.

When you can, get a new airframe, you've got all the equipment to put in, it should be your lowest cost path to getting back in the air.

Maybe you can tell your wife "I'm gonna replace that airframe next year"! ;)

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Thanks guys. Gyro is right, aileron was set to high and I and couldn't react fast enough to compensate. Especially that low. Had the plane been just a little higher I might of made it... almost did... and I would of learned my lesson without the crash. And yes, Im just going to get a new airframe. The build this time will be much better to now that Ive been through it once. Well the last build wasn't that bad, but I did learn some things that will make the next one much better. Many thanks to everyone who posted advice and idea's in my build thread. Have a great resource to check back on now. Tiz Awesome.

Pulled the trigger, will be here after first of the year. :)
I am really considering the Cortex too.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Ahhhhhh that sucks but man I'm glad you already ordered a new airframe! Expensive lesson a lot of us have made already so we feel your pain!

vegasking

70cc twin V2
Yes it is sometimes live and learn. Everyone that has been in this hobby very long has most likely done a few things that they shouldn't have done. I have a long list of them myself.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Ouchy.. Okay so you had a senior moment and forgot to plug the ailerons in. Doah! :) Thats a mechanical not pilot error. Should probably have a chat with your mechanic.

It's the little things you know. I mean Im already over my deal and when I look back at what I did it's kinda funny and later on it will probably be even more funny.
Just the price we pay for our enjoyment right. :popcorn:

BTW mind if I ask where that field is you were flying at? I would love to come watch you guys do your thing, maybe pick up some tips and see how things are done.

Last edited by a moderator: