• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cold weather flying

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
So it's going to be about 32 degrees and sunny today and I really want to take my new plane out for it's maiden. As Im new to this hobby I don't know what if any affect cold weather has on ultracoat or balsa or glue joints and so on. I know my Heli"s love this kind of weather, but don't know about planes. Don't know if it makes any difference or not, but the plane is a 3DHS 65" Vyper.

So any advice or thoughts on this would be great and thanks much. :)

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Cold weather makes glue a little more brittle, but it shouldn't keep you from flying. The model will hold up fine to normal abuse. I know a guy that flies electric planes all through the winter in Anchorage. Having spent a winter there I know it gets well below zero.

Just realize that cold does make the voltage on batteries drop so try to keep them warm in a pocket or something. Once you are flying the current draw should keep them warm enough.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Dude Im trying to... Freaking work is getting in my way and it's starting to get on my nerves :grumpy: The dang field is about 500 feet away and Im looking at it right now. This is some :cursing: :bull: Such a beautiful day too. One way or another I will have it in the air today. :flyer:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Just went out flying this afternoon. Boy it was windy and cold! I can now say a 15-20 mph cross-runway wind is manageable on a 50cc Pilot yak 54 with a demon cortex installed :) I can't really say it was fun... but the cortex is phenominal.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Just went out flying this afternoon. Boy it was windy and cold! I can now say a 15-20 mph cross-runway wind is manageable on a 50cc Pilot yak 54 with a demon cortex installed :) I can't really say it was fun... but the cortex is phenominal.

ahhh... another believer :)

The cortex makes windy day flying *almost* fun

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Well guy's Im not even going to lie. Wind here was about 20 or so and gusting about 35 to 40. I got her up and was getting it figured out then BOOM! it got away from me a little to quick and couldn't quite get it pulled up in time. Totally all my fault. That little voice in my head was trying to tell me not to fly. It's to windy and your fingers are to cold. Should wait till the wind dies down and have all the feeling in your fingers. This was an expensive lesson to learn today. **** man I had no business flying today at my level of experience. And I didn't even keep the sun to my back. Mr. Impatient just had to get this thing in the air.

The airframe is a total loss, but everything else seems to be good to go thus far. I think if I had switched to the medium rate mode I might of been able to save it. "Maybe". You know the old saying "live and learn" man I for sure learned today...To listen to that little voice...To not try and fly in conditions that are at the moment above my skill set...and the list goes on. :facepalm:

For your enjoyment: Sorry about the video quality, my buds first time.

[video=youtube_share;eVfsm49_uVA]http://youtu.be/eVfsm49_uVA[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: