• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Yippee! Charging The Lithium Polymer Beast

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
No, but I need to give it a try.

You're going to love that plane. Mine just went through a minor refurbishing because it had a hard summer doing development work on the new 4016 Mk II motor. It got a lot of flight time and I really fell in love with it. Check my blog for articles on the plane with set up info and photos.

Oh, heck....... I dunno. It's 47 amps. Not sure about the wattage, but I'll ask Jeremy at Solid Hobby.

You need 110 volts, so if you have a generator that would work.

Thanks by outlay I meant $. Sorry for confusion. I assume the $125 was the power supply only.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
That power supply is a very nice piece of work. I'm running basically the same HP DPS-600PB server power supply hardware but mine is a home brewed conversion. I'm using it to power an icharger 3010b which will push 30 amps into my batteries.

Unless you are flying with MASSIVE batteries a parallel board is really a must have for these high output chargers. For instance, using a parallel board I can simultaneously charge six 4s 2200mAh batteries in about 20 minutes at 30A.

However....You do need to be a bit careful when using a parallel board. All the batteries must be is a similar charge state (say within 0.2v or each other). If you plug in a fully charged battery and a 'flat' battery together then very bad things will happen:eek: Even worse, if you are daydreaming and plug in a 3s battery with a 4s things get very ugly very quickly... ask me how I know;).

Steve

PS
If anyone want to build a DPS-600PB based power supply for 'next to nothing' I can supply a few tips. It's really pretty easy if you have a decent soldering iron and aren't afraid to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc Austin

70cc twin V2
I assume the $125 was the power supply only.

I believe that includses the y harness and switch.

Today was the first day I got to use my new power system in the real world and actually put a load on it. These are Hewlett Packard power supplies, and they have been bulletproof in my computers and in my other power system, so I wasn't worried that it was going to perform. What surprised me is that even under a load the cooling fans were still very quiet. In fact, any sound it made was lost in the ambient traffic noise coming from the road outside the field. Essentially the thing is silent. I'm thinking you could almost charge batteries in the same room while you were watching TV and not even know it's turned on.

It's really nice that it's quiet like this, and I also appreciate that it is such a nicely finished product. I am really pleased with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Santi8

70cc twin V2
When charging 6x 6s 5000 packs for my slick, a parallel board is a must! I even use it when charging 6 packs for my crack yak! Recently I switched over to a solar panel and 2 12v 85ah deep cycles.. I can hook them up in series and create a portable 24v power source capable of keeping dozens of packs charged!

SnowDog

Yeah, I use a parallel charger for all my packs. I can do 6 4s3000 packs pretty quickly and even my 6s5000 packs don't take too long...of course, I've only got a few of those, 'cause they are so darn expensive!

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
The trouble with larger electrics and charging is never the charger, it's always the power supply. Chargers are relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things, even a top-tier charger the the TP 820 or Hyperion 720 Super Duo is less than an airframe. But a power supply and generator starts to add up.

At one of my fields we have a great solar power system but it's only 12V and if there is a bunch of us flying we can kill it.

I have been pipe dreaming about building a generator with a 5-10hp Briggs motor running two automotive alternators charging two smaller batteries in series. A small, cheap, light 24V generator for charging, and you could put an inverter on it for 120V use.