• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Castle Creations Talon 90

I can do either but I'm probably going to use the built in bec first. I just hate dealing with a second battery so I'm trying to avoid the 2s route

gyro

GSN Contributor
I can do either but I'm probably going to use the built in bec first. I just hate dealing with a second battery so I'm trying to avoid the 2s route

Just make sure it's in a good place for plenty of cooling air during flight. With the motorlfly pulling 1600+ watts, you don't want the BEC to over heat and cook, as then you've got no flight controls!

Feral

Have a snoop around the precision aerobatics site the have air scoops that glue to the side of your motor box I use them on all me electrics they work well

quadracer

100cc

You don't have to use a second battery for that. You can use an external BEC, just remove the red wire from the Talon's Rx wire, and run the external BEC off of your flight battery.

Just make sure it's in a good place for plenty of cooling air during flight. With the motorlfly pulling 1600+ watts, you don't want the BEC to over heat and cook, as then you've got no flight controls!
yes that is the risk i'm running. i am mounting the esc just beneath the firewall like in the build videos. it has a heat sink built in so i'm thinking it will be ok. i will put it on the watt meter and do some ground testing . the only thing i worry about is once the cowl is on it will be hard to monitor the esc temp as i don't use telemetry.
k.t.

quadracer

100cc
I'm pretty sure the Talon will log the temps it reaches. I'd run it up a few times on the ground (with the cowl on) and see what it says. If it doesn't produce any scary temps, I wouldn't worry because it will likely run cooler in the air.

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
I'm pretty sure the Talon will log the temps it reaches. I'd run it up a few times on the ground (with the cowl on) and see what it says. If it doesn't produce any scary temps, I wouldn't worry because it will likely run cooler in the air.

Talon doesn't have logging.:(

coreman

50cc
I'm getting one of these in the mail tomorrow. The Castle guys (at WRAM) said it would work with the Hacker in my Byper. It is overkill for the current draw I'll be seeing but I'm more worried about the Hacker making nice with it than the BEC but now I have two concerns to watch over.