• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Castle Creations Talon 90

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
Anthony,

Patrick del Castillo (the owner, head engineer and CEO of the company) has responded directly to these concerns on the RC Groups forum. Here is his response:

"Here's the answer from James Anderson -- our engineer in Kansas who did the testing on the single RX lead version of the Beta Talon-90.

This was originally posted in Castle Creations' Beta testing forum.

"We have done extensive testing with the Talon BEC using resistive loads, as well as power hungry align, savox, and several other normal and HV servos. The current that is drawn by servos is very inconsistent and will normal be very low (under 2A) with large spikes (~5A) during fast movements. During testing we kept the servos moving as much as possible and watched the temperatures of the wires and connectors using a thermal camera. Even under resistive loads higher than our continuous rating the connector temperature never reached unsafe temperatures. Our testing left us confident that a single connector and wire will be able to handle the loads of any setup.

A second servo lead was considered as a way to give the consumer piece of mind but was decided against to maintain the simplicity of the product. A second lead may lead to confusion with people new to the hobby and would also likely lead to support issues during castle linking. The castle link adapter is only able to provide power to the unit during programing. With a second wire the second wire would have to be disconnected from the servos and radios to castle link or extra circuitry would have to be added leading to more cost as well as inefficiency. The BEC pro has a separate link port for this reason. This could be done on the Talon as well but adds even more complexity and cost to the unit.

The goal of this unit was to make a simple lower cost product that is easy to setup. Because of the problems mentioned above it was decided that a second wire would not be a step towards this goal. Our testing has showed that the single wire and connector will be safe for even the toughest setup. Since we have received a good amount of feedback asking about a second wire I will make sure that it is considered again when we work on future projects.

We do not recommend soldering a second servo lead to the unit. The case was not designed to support this and it will likely lead to wire chafing.""

Here is Castle's answer to the one servo wire.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
So what is the wire gauge used on the BEC wires to the RX? I have no testing equipment but I would think a digital servo in a KE Spin with three surfaces pegged could be more than 5 A as Patrick mentions.

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
So what is the wire gauge used on the BEC wires to the RX? I have no testing equipment but I would think a digital servo in a KE Spin with three surfaces pegged could be more than 5 A as Patrick mentions.

It's just a regular servo wire. (Not sure what the wire gauge is). I checked my HV servos that I will be putting in the goblin and when I put a force on them and move them all at the same time, the most they ever drew was 1.5amp, and it was only for a fraction of a second, like he mentioned above. Even if it pulls more than 5amps the amount of time it would be pulling that many amps would be very minimal. We will see when I get my helicopter running; I am sure that the servos have to work much harder on a FBL helicopter than on the surface of an airplane.

Joe's Dad

70cc twin V2
The connectors are rated at 3 amps continuous. With 5 amps momentary surges.
The 5 amp surges degrade the gold plating in the connectors so over time the connectors loose their
current carrying ability. Which means You will need to replace them periodically.

Helis do not need the current capacity that airplanes do. Once a Heli blade is moved the current settles
back down, because less force is required to hold the blade angle as it is to move the blade.

An Airplane surface sees the torque required to hold the surface much longer. High speed rollers for instance. The servos
in a plane are working much harder on a aileron than on a heli blade. Aileron servos are rated up towards 350 ounce or more.
Even big Heli's do not require the larger torque servos.

I hope they reconsider and put dual leads on the talons just like they do on the PRO's. 1 poorly crimped servo connector lead
is all that stands between a 800$ flying plane and a trash bag full of sorrow.

You might be able to convince me that Heli's do not need the extra connector, but I'd argue along time about not
needing 2 in a plane.
With that said, these are really only rated at half the output of a BEC PRO. So with that in mind a single connector should be okay
Right?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Jim,

I understand Castle has a new ESC in development/beta-testing right now with two BEC power outputs. Sounds like they're taking our feedback and making improvements and changes!

-G

nebwake

70cc twin V2
If I were running my Talon 90 in a 25% plane instead of a 60"er I would run straight unregulated or a Bec Pro anyway, Just like I do on my Velox and an ICE 100. A separate point of failure is a good piece of mind over KISS on occasion.

Hey guys I'm putting this esc in my son's 64" mxs . I've left the throttle response at default which is "medium"
Has anyone tried changing it to high?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362005809.085368.jpg