• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Castle Creations ESCs

Was the 1st log an actual flight, or did you just run the motor up static on the ground for a few seconds?

To me, the 2nd log looks normal to me, max watts about 400+ on 3s, looks ok. Max amps are hard to see, but guessing between 30-40A, temps look ok, voltage really dropped off hard at the end of the flight (down to 8v), so you ran the batteries way too low or just throttled down to off. IMHO, 900 sec. (15 mins). is way too long, and you may damage your batteries if you continue to run them down that far. My typical flightst are 6-7 mins. coming down at 3.7-3.8v per cell. What airplane are you flying?

Last edited by a moderator:

quadracer

100cc
The second log was from a full flight, and yes, I did a static run to check it out before taking off. The first log was from the flight on which it died. It was a takeoff and a splat. The dip in voltage just before it went offline is something that puzzles me. When I pegged the throttle to take off, just as it got ready to lift, it cut out for an instant, then regained power, and I'm assuming this is represented by that drop in voltage. I don't know how to interpret it though.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Your voltage seems to be sagging pretty bad. If you look at the traces for either flight as soon as you open the throttle, even with a fresh battery, your voltage is dropping to 10V or maybe slightly less. That's bad, a good 3s battery fully charged should hold about 11.4V under full load. This indicates a battery with too low a c rating and/or a battery that's past it's best.

My guess is you might have hit LVC when you went to full power?

What voltage is the LVC set to and is it set for a hard or soft cut?

Having said that... I don't think hitting LVC would cause the flight log to terminate suddenly like that, I'd expect LVC to cut the motor but the logger to keep running though i'm not sure.. maybe someone else can confirm what the logger does upon LVC activation?. Maybe there is something else going on too, but either way the battery looks suspect.

Last edited by a moderator:

coreman

50cc
Your voltage seems to be sagging pretty bad. If you look at the traces for either flight as soon as you open the throttle, even with a fresh battery, your voltage is dropping to 10V or maybe slightly less. That's bad, a good 3s battery fully charged should hold about 11.4V under full load. This indicates a battery with too low a c rating and/or a battery that's past it's best.

Having said that... I don't think hitting LVC would cause the flight log to terminate suddenly like that, I'd expect LVC to cut the motor but the logger to keep running though i'm not sure.. maybe someone else can confirm what the logger does upon LVC activation?. Maybe there is something else going on too, but either way the battery looks suspect.

I suspect the logger cut out on ground contact if the splat was enough to disconnect the battery

Value Hobby sells these and you can set the alarm voltage and it has varying beeps that get closer when it gets lower. There is also a voltage display which when I use it on flat foamies, is visible on flybys

quadracer

100cc
I don't know if it logged until impact, because everything went out after takeoff, so I'd say it lost power then and stopped logging. I set LVC to 3.0 (I think , or whatever the lowest setting is available..)

coreman

50cc
I don't know if it logged until impact, because everything went out after takeoff, so I'd say it lost power then and stopped logging. I set LVC to 3.0 (I think , or whatever the lowest setting is available..)

What was the state of the battery after the crash? Did you use a power distribution board for the servos and such? Was the battery still connected when you picked up the crashed plane?

quadracer

100cc
It nose-dived from 30', and the battery slid forward into the motor shaft. That resulted in a fire that burnt the front of the plane off. No power distribution, it was only a 48" Edge....

Steve, on the 1st flight (the take-off/crash) the voltage didn't sag much on the initial climbout 300w peak/at about 12v, then loss of power, but at around 36 secs. it looks like you got a 2nd burst of power as the watts increased to 400w but then the voltage really dropped (perhaps total loss or LVC at that time, but chart still shows more than 3v/cell???? I would agree with Steve, the battery might have been the culprit. What was the C and mAh rating of the Lipo?