• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Build Log Top Flite P-40E Warhawk Gold Edition kit

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
After grabbing 2 flights on my mCPx v2 and the motor mount on my UMX 300 3D finally giving away beyond repair, I grabbed the sand paper and horizontal stab. After about 30 minutes of sanding yesterday trued up the TE, sheeting ends, and started the curve on the LE. Then glued on the stab tip blocks. Next step will be sanding down the tip blocks to shape, probably working on the LE curve some more. That'll complete the horizontal stab build. The stab finally looks like a flying surface.

100_6107.JPG 100_6106.JPG100_6105.JPG 100_6110.JPG 100_6109.JPG

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
I was able to get back to the building table this weekend for a total of about 4 hours of work. I was able to finish the horizontal stab, build the vertical fin, and sheet the vertical fin. Nothing fancy with this work, sanding on the stab and the typical building of ribs on the fin.

100_6112.JPG 100_6113.JPG 100_6114.JPG 100_6116.JPG 100_6118.JPG 100_6119.JPG 100_6120.JPG 100_6121.JPG

gyro

GSN Contributor
I was able to get back to the building table this weekend for a total of about 4 hours of work. I was able to finish the horizontal stab, build the vertical fin, and sheet the vertical fin. Nothing fancy with this work, sanding on the stab and the typical building of ribs on the fin.

View attachment 8251 View attachment 8252 View attachment 8253 View attachment 8254 View attachment 8255 View attachment 8256 View attachment 8257 View attachment 8258

Progress is still progress! Looks like its coming along nicely. :)

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Was able to get the vertical fin finished up on Saturday. Hopefully I didn't sand too much off the top as it's supposed to be final shaped with the rudder in place. Also got started on the elevators. The elevators are built up from the die cut elevator base. I got as far as gluing the LE on and getting all of the ribs cut. The ribs are cut from a stick of balsa and I'll be sanding them down to get the correct angle. There's a cross section shown on the plans, so I will probably make a template, draw lines on the ribs for the correct angle, and sand down to the line when the time comes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

good to see the progress...tried to view larger pictures, but there does not appear to be a larger version...?

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
good to see the progress...tried to view larger pictures, but there does not appear to be a larger version...?

Fixed. I was referencing the thumbnails of the pictures on another forum where I uploaded the images. Now I'm referencing the larger images.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Got the elevator ribs and root blocks glued on over the weekend. Before I glued the LE on both die cut elevator bases I failed to read the "on both sides of the EB mark the rib locations." So I had to eyeball the markings on the bottom side of both elevators. But while gluing them on I eyeballed the placement to get them as parallel as possible to the tops. Next step is to sand them all down to the proper angle. The plans have a nice cross-section so I'll make a template and mark each rib so I don't sand down too much.

100_6132.JPG 100_6134.JPG

SnowDog

don't you love it when you read the directions like that....after the fact!... :facepalm:

glad to hear you found a good workaround.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
After 2 weeks of not being able to touch any balsa, I was back at it for 2.5 hours yesterday. My work included making the template to attempt to get the correct slope on the elevator ribs, using a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel to get close, and lots of sanding with 220 grit paper to get really close. I also taped the elevators to the stab and sanded down the stab tip blocks to match/be even with the elevators. Later I was able to glue the torque rod doublers in, these are used to create a thicker section of wood for installing the copper tube that connects the elevators together, much later in the build (after covering) the torque rod will be epoxied in.

100_6204.jpg 100_6205.jpg 100_6209.jpg 100_6219.jpg 100_6220.jpg 100_6221.jpg