• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Beginner Giant Scale RC Questions, Let's hear them

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Higher octane, no ethanol. I personally don't find it necessary. I run pump premium and where I live it all has Ethanol. Never had any issues, but I don't fly as mush as a lot of guys.
To each his own as they say.
Same here.....premium auto for me. No issues whether I fly a little or a lot.

Avgas is supposed to have a longer shelf life. One engine guru here claims to not have carb issues or tuning issues after a plane sits. He has a lot of planes that he rotates through his trailer, and they all run great. I personally don't use it though.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Avgas is supposed to have a longer shelf life. One engine guru here claims to not have carb issues or tuning issues after a plane sits. He has a lot of planes that he rotates through his trailer, and they all run great. I personally don't use it though.
If it evaporates it leaves a lot less crap behind then the standard pump gas we get around here.

Raven

30cc
Ok, i am a beginner giant scale builder, and a beginner kit builder. I recently aquired a ziroli p47 - 92" wingspan. Any particular hints,tips,tricks from people that have built this or something similar? I already have one wing half and the fuse formed up. From what i have followed with other build logs on this, i see people glueing the balsa sheeting together before glueing to the wing or fuse etc. is there a purpose for this or just personal preference?

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Gluing the sheets together before you install them on a wing for example makes it much easier to sand the joint smooth. Otherwise you are trying to glue and sand where you have very little support. A fuse can be a different animal. With all the curves smaller pieces are needed, or even planking.

So I have heard that if I use Ethanol it wont hurt the engine but does not give as much power. Is true? I also see that it's a bit more expensive so not sure of its worth trying.

Thanks Guys.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Where I live there really isn't any choice. There is Ethanol in all the fuel around where I live.

I doubt the average guy could tell much of a performance difference.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
I'm the same way, not much choice for ethanol free. I try to find a gas station that's always busy so that you know their gas is not sitting unused for long periods of time before you get it.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Plane ol 87 at the pump where it is the cheapest. DA 120 likes it EME 60 likes it DA 70 should do fine too once I get it running.
32:1 for all of em too. I happen to like redline oil.