• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Assembly: EF 110" Yak-54 V2

I haven't flown a ZDZ 180 of course but it's still a motor to consider. However, I'm in the mindset of why pay twice as much for a motor when people are having good luck with a cheaper option.

If you destroy the motor in a crash, just buy a new one instead of spending all that money on parts. Or, like for the DLE's where you can get the parts, if you have a problem, you can just try to fix it yourself if you have access to the tools you need. Swapping pistons, rings, and cylinders is pretty easy and I have 2 torque wrenches. One does foot/lbs. and one does inch/lbs.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
The ZDZ-180 was the most impressive motor I ever ran... for about 40 flights. It either came with, or developed a problem. @Tavis 's and @Spats have not had the same problem and both have over 100 flights on theirs. Eventually I might try another one to see if I just got a bad one. The ZDZ-180 is like an old hand picked 3W 150QS but on steroids. I just don't know if they have an inherent problem or if I just got unlucky with the one I received. ZDZUSA did not offer a replacement but did offer a full refund, so I took him up on that as I did not trust that particular engine. And, because of that one engine I still don't trust the ZDZ-180. That might have just been an isolated case, but how am I to know that? I have what I call the dreaded "ye ol' experience of one." Most of the time we're making our decisions based on one experience, because there just isn't the time and money in this hobby to setup scientific testing. I have to say, though, that my DLE-170 for half the price just honks my plane around like there's no tomorrow, so there's no real urgency about replacing it with a motor I'm unsure of. My ZDZ-180 was a linear, quality feeling, ridiculously powerful motor, though. I miss it, but I don't trust it. :)

What problem was this? There's probably half a dozen of them down here that all run without a problem, and all of the other guys who use them haven't reported any issues :confused:

Joe Hunt

150cc
I know, again I only have my experience of one. I never had a performance issue. What happened was I noticed I had drag on my prop when I would rotate it. So, I sent it in. ZDZ USA said the crank was out 29 thousands. That is clearly a problem. Whether it was pressed and not trued, or whatever, I do not know. And ZDZ could not figure it out either, so I wasn't going to run it, for sure. I was just going to sell it but ZDZ USA offered a full refund so I took it.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'd say take that refund and get yourself another to be sure ;)

Worst case scenario they would probably do the same thing again if it winds up being a fluke, but with how many positive reviews there are out there with that engine right now I'd say chances are that one particular was just a fluke. I'm the same way, if I have a bad experience with something then I'll swear it off unless the user-base is large enough and manufacturer support is exceptional. Joe is a class A kind of guy, plus you two have so much in common with the whole same name thing................... :oblong::roflmao:

Joe Hunt

150cc
I'd say take that refund and get yourself another to be sure ;)

Worst case scenario they would probably do the same thing again if it winds up being a fluke, but with how many positive reviews there are out there with that engine right now I'd say chances are that one particular was just a fluke. I'm the same way, if I have a bad experience with something then I'll swear it off unless the user-base is large enough and manufacturer support is exceptional. Joe is a class A kind of guy, plus you two have so much in common with the whole same name thing................... :oblong::roflmao:

I couldn't agree more. I was going to just buy another one to see if it happened again because the motor was honestly like no other I've ever experienced... as I said, reminded me of the quality and linearity of my old team 3W 150QS motors, but with just startling power. But, I've been slow to buy another one for a several reasons. One is that I just bought a DLE-170 and thought what a great time to compare it scientifically to a ZDZ-180 and DA-170... since I had both of those engines on the same plane. @Tavis had been telling me his experiences with the DA-170, 3W-170CS, DLE-170, and ZDZ-180... all on stock mufflers (which is all he will fly for the best hovering). He had been telling me that the DLE-170 on stock mufflers destroys the DA and 3W on stock mufflers. And, that with the www.fastcarbs.com reeds (dual stage boyesen reeds) and a walbro carb that the DLE-170 was almost as good as the ZDZ-180 that he loves so much. Said he wouldn't' get rid of his DLE-170, it was that good. So, I thought I really need to have this scientific comparison... same exact plane, swap the motor, and really see the exact difference. Then there's the size thing that I considered... I am really seeing myself going mostly 120cc size in the future. I like to fly too fast and too violently for these 170cc plane and engines. I'm just abusing this 122" Extra doing full throttle rifle rolling loops... the downloads are so fast. Even the horizontal full throttle rifle rolls look painful for the ol' girl. haha To say nothing of Torkanos... which I've really stopped doing because they are just too violent.... full throttle into a dead stop cartwheel. :O So, yeah, the DLE-170 is really honking hard and getting the job done totally (ballistic out of site uplines, etc.)... I'm thinking to move away from 170cc class planes... had a REALLY bad experience with a ZDZ-180... so just not hugely motivated to buy a new ZDZ-180 right at the moment.

>>>I'd say chances are that one particular was just a fluke.<<<

I've thought 90% that "a fluke" was most likely it. 10% if you push them you'll tweak the crank (as big pylon racers will tell you, there is no crank that you can't knock out of alignment in the air, which is why they weld their cranks together). There was also the delivery, the box was open and the engine had fallen out. The driver asked me if I wanted to accept or reject the package... the engine looked fine and I didn't think anything of it... until 44 flights later. haha You know, I only put a few gallons through it in just a few days... it was still a new motor when I sent it in. Could have been from being dropped, but it's so hard to prove anything now. I'll go with fluke, but it's bad when the fluke is the first one. Like our field inspectors say "one bad, all bad... or one good, all good." I've got to psychologically overcome that my first one being bad was a fluke. Whilst my OCD (CDO alphabetized) worries that there just might be a crank problem if the engine is really flown violently. Then take my DLE-170... I've put almost three times as many flights on it... and a lot of that violent... and no problems at all... no drag on the prop. So, then I get to thinking maybe that's because the DLE-170 is less prone to have the crank thrown out of alignment. Or? Basically, you don't want to get me thinking. haha Just give me something that good that works, so I think about that. haha Like the Hitec 9380s, Hitec 9360s, the AeroTech IBEC, et al. Anyway, yes, hopefully just a fluke... and maybe someday I'll get a second one to see. If I'm even still flying planes that big. haha here we go again with the circular reasoning. lol

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Joe......Don't forget the days (Mid to Late 80's) when Gerhardt's ear was attached to the phone 24/7. My 120, 150 and 85 twins all had some issue with the cylinders back then. So this little "hick up" should not hinder ZDZ and you existing as "ONE"........ A Ohmmmm......A Ohmmmm lol.

Joe Hunt

150cc
Joe......Don't forget the days (Mid to Late 80's) when Gerhardt's ear was attached to the phone 24/7. My 120, 150 and 85 twins all had some issue with the cylinders back then. So this little "hick up" should not hinder ZDZ and you existing as "ONE"........ A Ohmmmm......A Ohmmmm lol.

Yes, that's so true. And, is another reason I'm holding off. VERY often a new motor has problems "out the gate." And, over time gets them resolved. This has happened to the best (3W, in my opinion) and MANY times, as well, to DA even. So, yes, I've talked to Randy and Tavis and things are going great with them and this NEW rev of 180s, but Tavis also says he's only really hovered it. So, I have questions. haha And, don't forget, ZDZ has had trouble with cranks, even on the original 180. And, it's not like ZDZ and others can't have problems. The ZDZ cylinder lining would peel off back in the early 2000s and plane after plane went in when the motors seized up. Eventually they got it worked out, but it happens. So, again, I have questions. I ponied up my money and tried one (along with buying two DA-170s, one 3W-170CS, and one DLE-170) so I'm doing what I can to gauge all these current motors. This all in less than a year. I'm trying to be informed. :)

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well hey if you need a place to store your 40% airplanes while you figure out your 35% craving then by all means feel free to drop me a line. I'm sure I can manage to find a nice cozy place for them, they'll get proper loving every weekend ;)

Joe Hunt

150cc
... this little "hick up" should not hinder ZDZ and you existing as "ONE"....

Oh, I wanted to say about that, all the flights, from the first to the last, on the plane when it had the ZDZ-180 on it were perfect. No performance loss or anything. The plane and engine and prop and spinner and every part you can mention were cosmetically and functionally (as far as I could tell) in perfect shape AT THE TIME I took the engine off. I just felt a drag. When I shipped the motor in there is no way I expected not to be running that, or another, ZDZ-180 on that plane again. I was very surprised by the whole experience, very.

Joe Hunt

150cc
Well hey if you need a place to store your 40% airplanes while you figure out your 35% craving then by all means feel free to drop me a line. I'm sure I can manage to find a nice cozy place for them, they'll get proper loving every weekend ;)

Haha... my garage is cramped... you may find me taking you up on that offer... especially for the H9 Sukhoi, which never gets flown. haha