• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Assembly: Aeroworks QB 150cc Yak 55M

Joe Hunt

150cc
Here's a shot of my custom gaskets, dry after a few flights on the walbro carb:

20151006_132847web.jpg

This shows how a universal slotted gasket with the ground out universal teflon insulator/adapter (insulator/adapter when it is used with the Walbro, insulator only when it is used with the Tilitson) will leave a gap to the outside world unless you get some that just manage to close the gap but have no real mating area.

20151006_132847web2.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
I wondered why the universal teflon insulator/adapters (adapters for the offset impulse holes on the Walbro carbs) had grinds to their big old holes (making them nearly impossible to have any mating area from carb to teflon). Once I had a Tilitson in my hand I finally had all the pieces of the puzzle. The big old hole in the universal teflon insulator covers up part of Tilitson impulse hole. So, they grind them a little... which makes the situation with the Walbro carb even worse. They grind both big holes in the universal insulator, so even if you flip it over the problem is the same.

20151006_133312web.jpg 20151006_133312web2.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
Bottom line... the engine is made for the Tilitson. It can work with stock universal parts with the Walbro if you're lucky but it does not follow "best practices" to be sure. If I was to run a Walbro I'd do custom gaskets (I did) and make a custom teflon insulator/adapter (I bought the material and was going to make one, but now I'm stoked running the Tilitson).

Joe Hunt

150cc
Okay... bunch of headaches, but the fun part is the flying today! :)

Now let me start with some scenery and excuses. haha I've only flown the plane 16 short flights. I was messing with the carb on a new 3W engine most of that time. I was headed to the field after work rushed most every time. And, I was somehow trying to get a video out of it, as well (mostly handing the camera to people I had just met to film, haha). I never put in any mixes nor really got used to the plane. I noticed it landed easy (around half the landings were filmed and all 16 have settled onto the runway like a mosquito with sore feet). I noticed it torque rolled hands off, and I noticed it liked to fly very round in precision circles (no effort was needed to make a very round circle). It also liked to stay level in precision rolling circles. All the while, though, I had an engine that was not making any power because of the carb situation. Well, if you underpower a plane you are not really giving it a chance.

Today, with the power up, the plane really started coming to life. It was way more fun to fly. And, that motor is still a mile away from full power because, for whatever reason, I did not break it in on lawnboy like I always used to (I'm running Belray H1R). Now onto what is really fun...

High speed rolls! Very effortless with this plane. Very axial with this plane. Very controllable with this plane (altitude and heading). And very cool looking with this plane. This plane is a thug for thugs. haha And, a 40% just looks way cooler doing full throttle rolls than a little baby 1/3scaler. haha Real men do not let their flying buddies fly baby 1/3scale planes. haha

Joe Hunt

150cc
Gerhard's service and support (at http://www.aircraftinternational.com) continues to be absolutely top notch. In this picture you can see I have black exhaust all over my muffler. The muffler is cracked across the weld. I sent Gerhard a picture and he sent out a new muffler the same day. He's answered all my emails and phone calls promptly and he's very knowledgeable. He also said he wants to show this gasket situation to 3W Germany. So, anyway, yeah, Gerhard has been great. And, I do love the motor. But, I'd also love to have all my time back.

20151006_132847web.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
So, I removed my ignition battery and ignition switch... and replaced them with this filter and LED. Dropped 3oz in the process and... for me... have an easier charging situation. Charging was the main reason I got one of these IBEC units. Using this unit with the brushless servos and all I have to do it swap out two packs every 15-20 flights. Giving me 15-20 flights of time to charge up the first two packs. Very easy and convenient, as I see it.

20151011_005923web.jpg 20151011_005934web2.jpg

BTW, that fuel dot I got from Aeroworks... it's the easiest fuel dot to use I've ever had, I'm very happy with it. The Vent Dot that Aeroworks sells is working out great too.

Joe Hunt

150cc
I also got the replacement muffler from Gerhard... it arrived two days after I first let him know the one I had on the plane was cracked on the weld. Hopefully no more leaks anywhere and it can all stay nice and clean. haha
20151010_020032web.jpg