• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Are you going to register with the FAA? Cast Your Vote!

Are you going to register with the FAA?

• Yes

Votes: 59 67.0%
  • No

Votes: 29 33.0%

• Total voters

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
There is almost always a 30NM blanket TFR that includes models around VIP movements. They existed before Obama and they will exist after him.
There is almost always a 30NM blanket TFR that includes models around VIP movements. They existed before Obama and they will exist after him.

And just for the record, it is only 387 days before he is out...just sayin.

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
I am beginning to not like smartphones. It quoted you 3 times. I did not know phones could stutter. Sorry. Then, I hit reply and almost everytime, it goes to hobbico website. I need smaller fingers yet.

And why did the FAA close all flying sites in the DC SFRA last week? Keep asking why to each answer stepping backwards and you'll get to the root cause which in this case is the fatal strategic decision the AMA made 3 years ago to be inclusive of drones. Politics, irrespective of your views, do play a contributing role in this situation with contradictory positions being taken by Congress vs the FAA. And the AMA lacked the strategic IQ to see this coming (200,000 members AMA with $15M annual revenue compared to 1.5M drone users and a $1.5B drone "hobby" industry that is has a CAGR 10X that of the AMA). There is no benefit to anyone in registering before 2/19 (besides saving $5 bucks, wow) so its worth waiting to see if anything transpires with efforts to use our AMA numbers/membership for FAA registration that will be a low probabilty of happening IMHO. By 2/19, I'll be regisering with FAA if the AMA is unsuccessful. So, lets all use a little strategic forsight to see what our world will look like in the next 5-10 years.......

1) AMA will not exist in its current form anf function. They have and will continue to allienate their base membership with their inclusive strategy.
2) FAA registration will be the new normal with increasing stringency/regulation over time as youtube videos will continue of the worlds bottom of the barrel IQ'ers showing the world how cool it is to fly their drones in the clouds, over stadiums, over skiers, blah, blah, blah.
3) A new insurance business opportunity will emerge for the formation of a new community based organization that is exclusive of 'drones - ie. having BLOS technology/capability' as an alternative to whatever the AMA becomes OR the home owner insurance industray will create an extended coverage insurance product (if the market is big enough which is probably not the case) that we can all select

Swami VotecYakGuy out....

Last edited:
And then TFRs can continue under whomever is elected next. So you're the big winner!!!
And now the DC SFRA is included too. This loss of freedom didn't happen in the past - it's happening now. Perhaps you would care about a loss of freedom if it actually impacted you.

Judge

70cc twin V2
And now the DC SFRA is included too. This loss of freedom didn't happen in the past - it's happening now. Perhaps you would care about a loss of freedom if it actually impacted you.

Not sure where you get that I am for a loss of freedom. The first AMA clubs closed in the DC area in 2009 when FAA decided to include model aircraft as aircraft. These were clubs in the DC FRZ. FAA recently expanded that closure.

All of this started to fall out of the Pirker case where the NTSB decided models were aircraft. Then the 2012 FMRA Section 336 further reinforced that definition. The changes in these definitions and the explosion of "drones" onto the market is what is driving all this, not who is in the White House. This is what I am trying to make clear. I knew of FAA talks about regulating models as far back as 2002!!!

FWIW, here is the AMA's latest update on the DC situation:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...ecial-flight-rules-area-sfra-in-the-d-c-area/