• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Are you going to register with the FAA? Cast Your Vote!

Are you going to register with the FAA?

• Yes

Votes: 59 67.0%
  • No

Votes: 29 33.0%

• Total voters

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
FAA can work the legislative!....... first it is made public law (bill) so any previously established public law can be superseded ( even ratified through the senate or voted on as a bill through Congress). These laws are commonly known as "tort laws" (where damages and compensation can be sought). I do not see how they can legally impose this HUGE fine just yet though! Eventually it has to be put before Congress and become an ACT and not a bill and be entered into the CFR (Code of Federal regulations) because the FAA has initiated the process through public law (bill). Just say'n, the" pre-verbal trail ":steamer: rolls down hill"...... SO........We will also be looking at penalty ( possibly ) at the state and municipal levels as well because most states adopt federal regulation if they want to see federal dollars for their airports, Hwy's etc...etc... This was mentioned by @dhal22 in the expression of Hwy money from the Fed. So to those who will stand firm and not register you can probably (more absolutely) Look at jail time and a fine. You knows hows we likes to lock each other up and eat that fine cuisine and sleep on that nice comfy mattress:nightmare:.

camss69

70cc twin V2
I will register (on the 29th day to save my 5 bucks) not because I agree with it but because I don't have $27,500 to make a point.

I don't for one second think the registration will stay $5, I also don't think it will stay the pilot and not the aircraft, it's only a matter of time. Next we'll have to have our aircraft inspected, then there will be required training....You can see where this is going..

It's tough enough to get kids interested in this hobby vs video games. Can you imagine adding all that to it? Forget it...

I'm going to take advantage of the free registration period to see which way the wind is blowing in our community before I decide to register.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
I'm not doing it. I deal with the FAA every day of my life, the reason I fly RC is because up until now if you followed the rules set forth by the AMA you didn't have to deal with the FAA.

I see every day how the FAA works, right now the fee is $5 once every 3 years... When the Feds start to figure out that 90% of modelers have MULTIPLE airplanes it will turn into $5 per airframe, and then it will be $10 per airplane because they have to pay the extra people to do the paperwork, then it will be $30 because of administrative fees.

They did this with full scale aircraft. At first it was $50 an airplane, and when they realized that not many people have more than one airplane it turned into $100PER SEAT. So someone that had a Cessna 172 went from a $50 registration yearly to $400.

Why do you think you have to register EACH of your cars and not just the driver? Because the government can get more money.

Also, how are they going to enforce it? Especially when 99% of the people causing the problem don't give 2 sh*ts about rules anyway. All this is, is a money grab. They can't enforce it and it is going to end up wasting money.. But then again, wasting money is what the government is best at.

On a moral front, I don't like the fact that the FAA has stuck their middle fingers up at congress. The special rule for model aviation in the FAA MRA was pretty straight forward, if it isn't being flown for profit the FAA cant regulate RC. So the FAA tried to re-define what constitutes an aircraft by stating that "any man made object that flies is an aircraft", which means according to the FAA a kite is an aircraft.

Here's the funny thing, my niece has a 4 foot Estes foam glider with a bolt that we put in the nose for balas. I put it on the scale earlier and guess what... 14oz..... So I guess my niece has to register with the FAA before she's able to fly it.

THE FAA DOES NOT SUPERSEDE CONGRESS

Well said!!!!................:attaboy::attaboy:

DB4SPD

30cc
Where is the hungry trucker lawyer? We been ran over by a Kenworth
No register here. Gonna keep having fun. Wait till the 13 year old gets a 5 digit fine.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
But.....But...... @Decal Dennis Look at all those M numbers you are going to make for us now to put on our model planes :money_talks:.

"Damn it Jim".....I'm a 3d flyer not a scale guy :spongebob:

True dat!!!, but look at it this way also..............................

FAA-CARTOON.png