• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Anyone have a good source for Radio set-up

GSNadmin

Staff member
Seeing that this thread is about set-ups, can anyone please fully explain how to set up a throttle curve. I'm sure that I am not the only one who doesn't understand it, so this might be a good place to get it out in the open.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out.

I use a tach and tach full throttle and mid throttle and than idle. That in the radio I adjust the mid point for 50% rpm and than adjust for a smooth transition from low to mid and than to full throttle to make for a smooth rpm change at each point in the stick position.

BalsaDust

Seeing that this thread is about set-ups, can anyone please fully explain how to set up a throttle curve. I'm sure that I am not the only one who doesn't understand it, so this might be a good place to get it out in the open.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out.
Your basically setting it up to feel linear. If you were to not do a throttle curve on a gasser and have perfect 1-1 geometry on your linkage then when your throttle stick is at half throttle your pretty much almost fully open on the carb. So you adjust your curve to compensate for it and make half throttle on your stick the equivalent of what feels like half throttle when flying. Best way I know to explain it and I didn't really understand until I finally did it one time. I will take a picture of my curve screen in a little bit once I get out of the shower.

Reactions: JAG

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
This was what I needed to do with my DA-50 but never did before taking it out of service. Good explanations!

Waiting on hot wings! Yum

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Mike, trying to figure out how to link my Futaba 9C (Spektrum module) to a foamie and don't remember how. Thinking it might be easier to buy an old Spektrum. Let me know when you get ready to sell.
You got it bro. Might be a while though. I don't think the DX20's have hit the market yet.

BalsaDust

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hope this makes since here. First pic is the throttle curve screen on one of my foamies. As you can see it's not even activated but it's what the screen looks like before you start playing with the curve.

Second screen is from my 30% Carden Cap with a DLE 55 on the nose. Like I said the idea is to get what feels linear to you while flying. Mind you I only have a handful of flights on this plane so I'm still dialing it in but it's a start. As you can see in the left it pass P-1 being idle up to P5 being WOT. If you look at P3 I have it only set at 33.5% meening if you looked at the butterfly in the carb when my throttle stick is at half throttle you would only see the carb as being roughly a 1/3 of the way open.

Hopefully that explains it a little better being able to see what I'm referring too.

BalsaDust

You got it bro. Might be a while though. I don't think the DX20's have hit the market yet.

I would say just pick up a DX18 if staying spektrum. I personally do not think the dx20 looks very good at all. Also I feel the leather on it could be a bad idea. One what will the leather look like in a couple years. Two how slippery will the leather be when your hands are sweaty. And three how bad will that leather start to smell after said sweaty hands keep grabbing it all summer long.

BalsaDust

I use a tach and tach full throttle and mid throttle and than idle. That in the radio I adjust the mid point for 50% rpm and than adjust for a smooth transition from low to mid and than to full throttle to make for a smooth rpm change at each point in the stick position.

That actually sounds like a good way of doing it.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I would say just pick up a DX18 if staying spektrum. I personally do not think the dx20 looks very good at all. Also I feel the leather on it could be a bad idea. One what will the leather look like in a couple years. Two how slippery will the leather be when your hands are sweaty. And three how bad will that leather start to smell after said sweaty hands keep grabbing it all summer long.

I'm mainly interested in the aluminum gimbals. Not too worried about the leather. Can't smell any worse than my five year old leather shoes.:D

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Another Throttle curve tip is to leave the menu open, and do full stop touch and gos to manipulate the graph/expo to create a good feel on the sticks in between the breaks... also you can leave a small plateau/ridge line where the model likes to hover so it's less touchy when maintaining a hover. just my $0.02