• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion aileron differential??

No I agreed with what Joe said and his method...then went on to say how I did it ..and there are other ways to do the same thing...I should have made that a bit more clear....but was agreeing on what Joe said...even though I use a different method...his method makes more sense and better than my method...but I can see if the plane behaves as I want to and require to be closer as my eyes are not as sharp to do a down line test...

You have to also remember Joe is a different league to most of us....He has youth sharp reflects and better hand eye coordination...he will look for way more precision than I would I just want a plane to roll good...he will be wanting it to roll perfect...if only I was 18 again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Dont know if you guys have heard of Prof Mark Drela?.. He's prof of Aeronautics at MIT and IMHO probably the most respected authority on model aircraft aerodynamics there is in the world period. He's no 3D flyer, he's into sailplanes, but the concepts are the same.

Anyway, he has a different explanation on the cause of adverse yaw compared to the 'standard' definition accepted by most modellers (i.e. differential drag). Here's a post of his on the subject over on RCG: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5887550&postcount=31

View attachment adverse_yaw.pdf

Possibly due to the larger control surface deflections things are a little different on 3D models compared to the sailplanes that Mark has in mind, but food for thought non the less.

SnowDog

No I agreed with what Joe said and his method...then went on to say how I did it ..and there are other ways to do the same thing...I should have made that a bit more clear....but was agreeing on what Joe said...even though I use a different method...his method makes more sense and better than my method...but I can see if the plane behaves as I want to and require to be closer as my eyes are not as sharp to do a down line test...

You have to also remember Joe is a different league to most of us....He has youth sharp reflects and better hand eye coordination...he will look for way more precision than I would I just want a plane to roll good...he will be wanting it to roll perfect...if only I was 18 again.

Got it...thanks for your reply. I'm with you - I don't have the reflexes of Joe or any of these young pilots, and my definition of "good enough" is probably much closer to yours than Joe's! :)

Cheers SnowDog...sorry for the confusion...

I hear you on the young un's my son is 15 and the more he flies the more he is critical of how it fly's....He is learning so fast....*sigh* soon I will be the padawan....

Anyway back on topic ....I find this guide a really useful tool

http://www.pongo-air.com/flightguide.html

Dont know if you guys have heard of Prof Mark Drela?.. He's prof of Aeronautics at MIT and IMHO probably the most respected authority on model aircraft aerodynamics there is in the world period. He's no 3D flyer, he's into sailplanes, but the concepts are the same.

Anyway, he has a different explanation on the cause of adverse yaw compared to the 'standard' definition accepted by most modellers (i.e. differential drag). Here's a post of his on the subject over on RCG: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5887550&postcount=31

View attachment 2539

Possibly due to the larger control surface deflections things are a little different on 3D models compared to the sailplanes that Mark has in mind, but food for thought non the less.

Sweet!!! Thanks for posting!!:thumbup:

mazjag

50cc
Guys, I went out today and was able to do something with that...I set a aux. switch up with 2,4, & 7 differential %....It was windy so trying to get a baseline was hard.. I`m working at it....This pattern stuff is difficult..Thanks for the input..jason