• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion aileron differential??

mazjag

50cc
Man, I`m lost on this.. I`m doing the pattern thing with a `47 Osiris....I understand the concept...Do I just add positive a few degress on a specktum transmitter until it rolls more axial? links? suggestions? thx..

Adverse yaw (what aileron differential fixes) is caused because the wing with the aileron traveling down experiences more drag than the wing with the aileron traveling up when they are setup up for equal throw that is. This means that when you roll to the right, the left wing has more drag on it which slows it down causing a yawing effect to the left. If the plane is rolling left, the plane will in turn yaw to the right.

To fix this problem, we have to achieve equal drag on both wings. There are 2 ways you can go about fixing this. You can either increases the throw for the aileron traveling up, or you can decrease the throw on the aileron traveling down. I always just decrease the amount of down aileron throw to fix the issue. It usually only takes a few degrees less down travel to solve the problem. I just fly a really long downline while only holding aileron to see if I have aileron differential issues, if I do, the plane will wobble about its axis. I land and decrease the down aileron by a few degrees and just repeat the process until I have an axial roll.

Last edited by a moderator:

mazjag

50cc
Thx. Joe, if I`m doing that say on a DX8 transmitter do I just go to the menu and add some as a percentage? Its a postive number correct? can you give me a normal range? Jason

Thx. Joe, if I`m doing that say on a DX8 transmitter do I just go to the menu and add some as a percentage? Its a postive number correct? can you give me a normal range? Jason

Hey Jason,

I'm not familiar with the DX8's differential menu so I can't be much help there. I went and read the dx8 manual but it doesn't make sense to me without having the radio in my hands to experiment with. Some guy posted in another forum to start with a positive 3%. I am not sure if that helps at all. When you do start to adjust percentages, make sure you watch the ailerons and make sure that its decreasing the down travel.

What Joe said...

If you fly over 2/3rds throttle straight and level and roll the plane..make sure you only are adding Aileron and the sticks aren't adding anything else...as it's easy to add some ele without noticing...you will see the plane not do a tight roll and yaw as described...

I think there a multitude of different ways of testing this but will all highlight if you need to add differential...as you max up the throws...you tend to need dial a bit less down aileron than up.

For the DX8 I suggest just playing with it to understand what it does before taking to air...and then do as Joe suggested fly it and click a few percent at a time until you notice axial rolls with no hint of it yawing or drift

If you fly over 2/3rds throttle straight and level and roll the plane..

I've always found it hard to determine if there is an aileron differential issue while flying straight and level because gravity is also if affecting the wings. If you are on a power off downline then gravity isnt affecting what the wings are doing which simply means its much simpler to see if the plane is wobbling.

Last edited by a moderator:

mazjag

50cc
Thanks, thats what I needed...I didn`t want to start adjusting on stuff without being sure what I was actually looking for in the control surface...That should give me a start for tommorrow....Jason

SnowDog

What Joe said...

If you fly over 2/3rds throttle straight and level and roll the plane..make sure you only are adding Aileron and the sticks aren't adding anything else...as it's easy to add some ele without noticing...you will see the plane not do a tight roll and yaw as described...

I think there a multitude of different ways of testing this but will all highlight if you need to add differential...as you max up the throws...you tend to need dial a bit less down aileron than up.

For the DX8 I suggest just playing with it to understand what it does before taking to air...and then do as Joe suggested fly it and click a few percent at a time until you notice axial rolls with no hint of it yawing or drift

I'm confused Space Bat...your post seems to indicate that you are quoting Joe and that he did his aileron differential test flying straight and level at 2/3rds throttle, but I looked at Joe's post and I don't see that wording..in fact, I see him specifically stating he was in a power off down line when he did his aileron differential test...am I missing something?

If you did not intend to quote Joe, I would ask you to edit your post.