• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Aerobeez 26% 74" Slick540 Build, Maiden Log!

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I wanted to go out and see what needed to be done to my setup to get more axial rolls... Alas, it was too windy for that kind of tinkering. The poor slick never got unloaded from the van.

I got some longer 1.75" arms for my elevator servos. The geometry works out a little different on this bird so the 1.5" ones I had would only give me about 38* of throw with the end points maxed out. When I installed the new arms I noted that one elevator was binding before it reached 45*. Tonight I re-hinged that side with robarts.

It should be noted that the hinges the factory uses are a white plastic and are much harder. You cannot melt them out with your soldering iron. Well... you can melt them out but when you go to drill out what is left the plastic will not come free. Instead, the softer balsa around what is left of the hinge gives way and you are left with a nasty crooked hole. If you need to re-hinge a surface on an Aerobeez plane just re-drill next to the old hinges. I hope this saves some people some aggravation in the future.

I'm looking forward to my next opportunity to fly this bird with full 3d throws. It should come down in waterfalls a lot faster and burn up a lot less area. It should also give me more pitch authority for entering a hover. If you watch the video you will see that I really had to coax it into a hover last time I went out. It should be a lot more fun now :D

3dNater

I put the Slick into the dirt today. A mix of showing off for some friends and running out of talent ;) Damage is limited to landing gear and prop. It was pretty much a miracle that it was not much much worse. It is a testament to the strength of this airframe. I could not believe it when the landing gear block was not only still intact, but very strong with no signs of damage.

I have some covering to patch up and just ordered the new landing gear. I have a 19x8 I can throw on the DLE 35 but it really revs up high with that prop. I may try a 19x10 rather than another 20x8. The 20x8 didn't give the top-end speed I really want.

3dNater

My landing gear replacement made it to my house at last!

I brought the plane in to work on thinking I would get it back on its feet. That didnt happen... I got sidetracked messing with the CG. I have been wanting to find a way to move it back a little for better pitch authority. Here is what I came up with.

uploadfromtaptalk1396966963204.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1396966993460.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1396967013378.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1396967041331.jpg

I hope this makes the difference Im hoping for.

I hangar rashes the plane on the way back out to the garage... I swear you can be careful 99% of the time and still do damage... I caught an elevator on the door frame and popped hinges loose... oh well... needed a little more deflection on that side anyway :p

amstd7

70cc twin V2
Thats really not funny I know how you feel, the battery in the turtle deck should help with pitch authority. I have a couple of airframes that have the battery in that position. Good luck on the next flight!:)

3dNater

Epoxy drying on the new hinges :) maybe tomorrow I will finally get this bird back on its feet.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
My wife just does not understand why I dont like her move planes. I tell her tail first through the door. My son does well with it though. My wife is starting to understand that they are easy to ang up.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

Haha @Dr gonzo the funny thing is... I DID go through it tail first. Im blaming the spring in the hinge to the garage door... I was trying to hurry through it before it closed and ran the butt end of the plane into the door frame like some kind of crazed jousting lance. Once again the airframe showed durability resilience... I was lucky to just have one hinge pop loose instead of busting the whole assembly.

Re-hinging was kind of necessary anyway. Now I can get close to 55* on both elevators without any binding.

SnowDog

Nate, are you telling me you tried to go under a closing garage door with your airframe in your hands?

:facepalm: