• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

64" mxs exp

It's now officially a "free plane" so next time out I will fly it much harder :D

Someone asked me how it did a falling leaf, (Very nicely, is the answer) and after the 7th or 8th flip the elevator
decided to hang full up at 75+ degrees. After the initial shock wore off, and I fought it back gently from a couple flips,
I was able to harrier it around to a not-as-hard-as-some-of-my-intentional-harrier-landings plop.
Zero damage, not even a prop.

On the ground, the servo was hard UP as commanded that way. Wasn't a linkage or other bind holding it.
Everything else normal. I wish I had thought to check my monitor on the transmitter to see what it was
commanding but simply turned it off, and the elevator immediately went to my neutral failsafe position.

Turning the radio back on, everything is perfect again.
Discharged another battery on the ground doing nothing but "full up --> full down" and never happened again.
/facepalm. Why can't stuff just break so we know what it is?

<shrug> I turned my travel back from 150 to 140 and I'll give it another go tomorrow.

gyro

GSN Contributor
It's now officially a "free plane" so next time out I will fly it much harder :D

Someone asked me how it did a falling leaf, (Very nicely, is the answer) and after the 7th or 8th flip the elevator
decided to hang full up at 75+ degrees. After the initial shock wore off, and I fought it back gently from a couple flips,
I was able to harrier it around to a not-as-hard-as-some-of-my-intentional-harrier-landings plop.
Zero damage, not even a prop.

On the ground, the servo was hard UP as commanded that way. Wasn't a linkage or other bind holding it.
Everything else normal. I wish I had thought to check my monitor on the transmitter to see what it was
commanding but simply turned it off, and the elevator immediately went to my neutral failsafe position.

Turning the radio back on, everything is perfect again.
Discharged another battery on the ground doing nothing but "full up --> full down" and never happened again.
/facepalm. Why can't stuff just break so we know what it is?

<shrug> I turned my travel back from 150 to 140 and I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Really glad you got it down safe Chris.
Is it possible the servo froze at the max deflection and couldn't muster up enough torque to move back again?
Can you post a pic of your geometry at full deflection?

Really glad you got it down safe Chris.
Is it possible the servo froze at the max deflection and couldn't muster up enough torque to move back again?
Can you post a pic of your geometry at full deflection?
Maybe later, but it's the same geometry from my other two MXS's, and never had an issue with either.
In fact, I pulled the linkages from my green one for this one.

Once on the ground it was still holding full UP, just like if you were holding the stick there.
Pushing a bit further UP, or DOWN against it... the servo was holding just like it would at neutral or any commanded position.
Once I turned off the transmitter, it neutralized
TO be completely honest it's almost made me doubt my elevator pot or something else in the transmitter itself.
Going out again in a bit to fly several packs through my 35" Sabre and see if it acts up again I guess.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Maybe later, but it's the same geometry from my other two MXS's, and never had an issue with either.
In fact, I pulled the linkages from my green one for this one.

Once on the ground it was still holding full UP, just like if you were holding the stick there.
Pushing a bit further UP, or DOWN against it... the servo was holding just like it would at neutral or any commanded position.
Once I turned off the transmitter, it neutralized
TO be completely honest it's almost made me doubt my elevator pot or something else in the transmitter itself.
Going out again in a bit to fly several packs through my 35" Sabre and see if it acts up again I guess.

Sounds almost like the circuitry or
POT in the servo. I think you might be right.

wedoitall

I had a 65mg do the same on the elevator and im pretty sure it was the pot gears like good. I was able to harrier land it that time because of the deflection