• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

60" Laser-EXP

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2
Good to know Gyro. For some reasons, I think I will loose my preexisting skills if I start using the cortex.

I submit that your skills will increase with the gyro. Once you turn it off you will notice you are better, not worse. At least that is how it is for me. One thing the gyro has helped with is that I over control a lot less now either with or without the gyo.

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2
Don't gorget, one of the great things about the Cortex is that you can fly in 15 MPH winds and still have a blast without having to fight the wind so much.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
You can not use cortex in aerobatic competitions (IMAC, XFC...)

XFC last year had a little controversy with gyros! In a skill based competition it is pointless to augment the control/ skill. Great devices for learning and equipment preservation but not competition.

I flew my Visionaire a lot last year with AS3X. This sort of thing only appeals to me in a 48" type plane. I have steered away from this class because it is just so limited with any sort of wind compared to my bigger stuff.

I just flew my Laser on a windy day last week and it does not need a stabilizer. I can see using it for auto rudder for rollers. I know warbird guys have been using rudder gyros for a long time as they are a %@$# on the takeoff roll sometimes.

I used to fly a Airbus 320, which is ruled by flight control computers, and it is not very much fun to fly to be honest.

This is a hobby we do for fun, and if someone has a huge smile on their face letting the cortex do rollers for them, so be it. Just don't start comparing yourself to Joe, Cody, Tyler, Daniel, Seth, Aaron, Brian, etc. etc.

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2
I am confused. If you don't know how to do rollers the Cortex certainly won't do it for you. Are you suggesting that the cortex will manage the rudder inputs for you? It does not do that. You still have to fly it the whole way through.

Yes, it is true that the Cortex makes some maneuvers easier, and therefore can help someone to learn how to fly a new trick such as rollers, but it certainly does not do anything for you.

Wait a minute, it may do that if you are using the Hold Mode. I have never used that, but it is said that in Hold Mode it will hover by itself, so maybe it will handle the rudder (and the elevator?) while doing rollers? Interesting to think about, but I simply don't use it that way.

In the end, if you wanna be on the top levels of skill, you do have to turn the gyro off. So far I am enjoying using it.

I also have a AS3xtra which has some of those hold modes and I think you can configure it in torque roll mode to essentially do autorollers. It sounds like the Cortex is very similar to the modes that I have in that little indoor plane.

I setup a HK stabilizer 2 years ago in my funcub. It makes that plane a lot more fun as it makes it fly bigger than it is.

I see this being pretty cool in a 48" plane. I will wait and see what everyone thinks of the thing. Maybe I will put together a very expensive 48" Yak EXP with one of these.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
That is like saying it takes no skills to fly a 3d heli with a 3 axis gyro. Makes no sense to me at all. By the way Seth is the one who used the gyro--

I am not referring to stabilization, I am referring to the hold modes.

I agree it has no place in competition.

That stabilizer in my Funcub made that plane so much more fun as it is pretty small.

James, one of the hosts on the RC Today show put a BeastX in some foam 50"ish planes from Nitroplanes and set it up with a auto rudder to do hands off knife edge flight. If that makes it fun, more power to you.

I am starting in large helis with a Ikon, and it would not fly worth a darn without all this technology. It is one thing to learn to piro flips and other crazy heli moves that require a lot of timing and skill and another to setup a plane to do auto rollers by just banging the left aileron stick and starting in a hover attitude.