• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

40" EPP Edge 540 Building, Flying, and Questions

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
Ok I finally love love love this airplane. Was enjoying it before but was disappointed in the harrier rocking like crazy and I couldn't get it locked into a hover to save my life. It flew well enough and was enjoying flying it but seemed that something was just off. Noob to bigger heavier airplanes so what do I know. Lol.

Anyways fast forward to today played with the cg a bit and moved it about a 3/8 an inch forward from where I thought it needed to be. And BOOM harrier performance while rocking a little (could've been the 10mph wind) is awesome and spent half a battery hovering it and TRing it. So much more fun. Did a few inserted harriers and even a couple of sloppy rolling harriers. Very sloppy but I would call them sorta successful (plane didn't crash :).

I absolutely love this thing now, put 4 batteries thru it and only stopped because I didn't bring the charger.
Haha. Yes there was some wing twist in mine when it arrived and I gave it a good twist back when I put it together since you should always make sure stuff is straight on assembly. Yes I think the ailerons flex a tiny bit at high speed causing them to be not as responsive as say half throttle, but who flies a 3d plane at full throttle for more than a few seconds anyways? I know I don't. Lol.

If you don't have one I suggest getting one. So much fun to fly and I think it's a great introduction and step to buying a balsa plane. I bought it as a stepping stone from my flat foamies to a nice balsa and now that I have the cg figured out am really glad I did.

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
Question how close are you guys to the 2.5 inches from the leading edge for the CG as stated in the manual? Fiddling with mine tonight before flying tomorrow and realized that I wasn't even close to that spot. And using the spot where I had been putting the battery makes it very very tail heavy in relation to the 2.5 inches. So just curious and looking for a range within the specified spot so I have a better idea where to fiddle with it at while out tomorrow. I know all planes are different as people put them together with different components and the like but just trying to get an idea

I got to thinking about it because Where I had been putting my battery the plane flies decent upright and inverted but it does seem pretty twitchy in harriers and hovers and KE it always wants to be at a higher angle of attack. I'm thinking that it is definetly a cg problem.

I love my plane but I think it could be better and my newness at setting up one of these is showing through at the moment.

SnowDog

Question how close are you guys to the 2.5 inches from the leading edge for the CG as stated in the manual? Fiddling with mine tonight before flying tomorrow and realized that I wasn't even close to that spot. And using the spot where I had been putting the battery makes it very very tail heavy in relation to the 2.5 inches. So just curious and looking for a range within the specified spot so I have a better idea where to fiddle with it at while out tomorrow. I know all planes are different as people put them together with different components and the like but just trying to get an idea

I got to thinking about it because Where I had been putting my battery the plane flies decent upright and inverted but it does seem pretty twitchy in harriers and hovers and KE it always wants to be at a higher angle of attack. I'm thinking that it is definetly a cg problem.

I love my plane but I think it could be better and my newness at setting up one of these is showing through at the moment.

What happens when you roll your plane to inverted...does the nose drop or rise?

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
Nose drops slightly. Tiny bit of elevator needed.

On that note I moved the battery forward a bunch (almost half an inch). And it didn't change the upright or inverted flight. I expected it to. Still flew the same. Didn't change any trims but eliminated just about all the wing rock in harriers. So I may have solved it. Seems to KE and hover easier too. I expected a bit of wacky nose heavy moving it that much but that didn't happen.

Sooo I dumb thumbed a spin recovery err I mean I had a spectrum radio failure, yeah that was it :p...Anyway plane go boom. I mostly have it back together except I think I messed up the downthrust angle on the front motor plate as it looks like it has a slight upthrust too it now. Should there be a slight downthrust or should it be straight relative to the wing?

Sooo I dumb thumbed a spin recovery err I mean I had a spectrum radio failure, yeah that was it :p...Anyway plane go boom. I mostly have it back together except I think I messed up the downthrust angle on the front motor plate as it looks like it has a slight upthrust too it now. Should there be a slight downthrust or should it be straight relative to the wing?

If I am not mistaken but I believe most if not all electric rc planes have or should have a slight down and to the right thrust angle looking from the back of the plane. You can e-mail 3DHS for certain if you would like. info@3dhobbyshop.com

Flat foamies are different. I think the foam is so soft it just flexes a little bit to compensate. Just me snowballing here but none of my flat foamiest had a thrust angle that I can remember.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
I've yet to find a 3D plane fromm one of the well known manufacturers that used any down-thrust, or at least any that uses enough to be visually detectable, but they all have some right-thrust. I'd say to set the down-thrust to zero and put in about 3 degrees right. You can always adjust from there by putting washers under the motor mount if you need to.

Last edited by a moderator: