• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

40" EPP Edge 540 Building, Flying, and Questions

ya....I wanted to try the 13" for the torque/airflow down low, + the 400+ watts for some sick reason, should be interesting :rolleyes:

Make sure to post a report. I would be quite interested. I have almost the exact same setup as you. Right now I am enjoying the extra weight of the 1550 and 1600 lipos. I tried a 1300 but just enjoyed the added velocity of the tumbles with the heavier batt. Good luck with your maiden.

Fliprob17

SITE SPONSOR
Ok, so.....I'll start off with, it's a shame so much attention (at least in the other forums) has been put on "whether or not my wing is twisted" ;) simple fact is figure out if it's the wing or the stab. (my case was the stab.), take your time on the build, get it right, and go fly this thing. After reading pages of twist, twist, twist, that's all you remember, so I'm glad I built one myself....

.....cuz this little gem ROCKS!!! Great plane to throw around at the park. I actually wound up flying my 3s 1000mah 25C GensAce packs. Way light and floaty, but plenty of momentum for tumbles and spins and the vertical performance was outstanding. Inverted tumbles were definitely a giggle factor. Rock solid in hover, upright harrier took a couple laps to figure out how it liked the aileron and rudder inputs. KE flight is absolutely ridiculous, get it on it's edge and let go :) it doesn't want to pull or push at all, just locked on a rail. On the 1000mah packs I was safely getting 4.5 minutes. So 5-5.5+ shouldn't be a problem with the 1300's.

Basically, don't miss out on one of these, great flying little plane!!

Also had my 6yr. old out for his "maiden" on his new A-10 Warthog AirHogs ;)

Attachments

• rob-hover.jpg
    rob-hover.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 299
  • 40epp-edge-hover.jpg
    40epp-edge-hover.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 308
  • kaidyn-launch.jpg
    kaidyn-launch.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 298
  • rob-catch.jpg
    rob-catch.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 294
  • rob-hover1.jpg
    rob-hover1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 295

SnowDog

Awesome pics Rob, and good comments too! :) Just build it and go fly! :D Great to see your son out there with you...careful, won't be long before he has more skills than his dad ;)

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
I finished mine and maidened it tonight. My first "real" plane as I like to term it. Only flew micros and profiles foamies before buying this one, so it was really different feeling in the air. Only needed a tiny bit of trim to fly nice and level with inverted needing a tiny bit of elevator which is how I like it. Is how I remember I'm upside down. Lol. My CG may be off slightly as it wanted to pull around to the canopy on the little bit of KE, not real bad a tad more elevator than what it would take if I was inverted. So I can probably live with it that way. Tumbling machine and I was able to do a really really pretty KE spin. So awesome.

I did find I need and want a little more elevator travel especially up elevator. I couldn't get the plane to do a real pretty wall at all and I think that's the reason. Also had a hard time doing harriers but that could just be inexperience with a heavier airplane. I also need to look at my ESC as it seems to take more time than I would like to spool down after cutting the throttle may just have something set wrong. Almost like its decelerating under power instead of just turning off if you know what I mean.

Very happy with it and can't wait to get a few more flights on it before a big flying weekend with friends in CT. Mostly just need to get used to the weight of the aircraft.

horton

50cc
Chris, you might try bumping up the throttle trim so the prop just starts to spin before takeoff. This allows the ESC to always be in sync with the motor. It also might prevent the prop from just free wheeling at low throttle position. Just don't forget to lower the trim in the event of a crash. Some guys set an idle-up on a switch to accomplish this.

Congrats on the maiden. Glad to hear you like it!

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

Chris, you might try bumping up the throttle trim so the prop just starts to spin before takeoff. This allows the ESC to always be in sync with the motor. It also might prevent the prop from just free wheeling at low throttle position. Just don't forget to lower the trim in the event of a crash. Some guys set an idle-up on a switch to accomplish this.

Welcome Noll, glad to see you here!!!
:D

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
Thanks Horton I'll give that a try.

Can't wait to get out and put a couple more flights n it later. Really can't wait to get comfortable with the bigger heavier airplane and start trying some crazy stuff. Just kind of taking it easy up nice and high right now. I changed the elevator control arm and get just about 45 degrees or travel now which is what I think I was missing last night a bit. Was only about 30 degrees last night. Have plenty of rudder if I go any more on that I'm smacking the elevator with it. Hehe

gyro

GSN Contributor

great advice. I do all my planes now with a throttle cut switch so that I can have the prop spinning at the minimum required, but keep it off before takeoff and after landing

SnowDog

great advice. I do all my planes now with a throttle cut switch so that I can have the prop spinning at the minimum required, but keep it off before takeoff and after landing

+1 I do this too. I just bump up the throttle trim till the prop just starts spinning, and after landing, drop the throttle trim back to zero. crude but effective.

I got to fly this little gem today. Man this is a fun plane. Omega 103 with a 12x6 prop and 5065 servos. I just read that Rob posted about some wing twist issues. Yeah I noticed it a little. I just took the wing and bent it the other way and flew it. Didn't notice anything bad with it. It flew good. Tumbles, hovers well, ke spins. Heck it flys a lot lie a small balsa except at high speeds. At high speeds I noticed some lack of ailerion authority and in a Dive at full throttle I almost had none. So I am going to add a cf rod to the ailerions to stiffen them up.
All in all this is one awesome plane for a backyard flyer and night flyer