• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS --FLY LOW-- Always OFF TOPIC

wedoitall

speaking of notes, ive took some extensive notes when i was researching the Osiris, Edge and 3dhs in general. i have a entire section i call "Ben'isms" its stuff ive ran across that Ben Fisher had posted. Its some really good stuff, especially for a 3dnoob. was thinking about posting up, i would have to put them together in some kinda format.

hone

150cc
speaking of notes, ive took some extensive notes when i was researching the Osiris, Edge and 3dhs in general. i have a entire section i call "Ben'isms" its stuff ive ran across that Ben Fisher had posted. Its some really good stuff, especially for a 3dnoob. was thinking about posting up, i would have to put them together in some kinda format.

That'd be pretty sweet! I'm sure it's all good info

ryan_m

100cc
just curious for future reference, whats the soldering melt trick? will have to put that in my notes.

cut your control surface off, then use a hot soldering iron to melt out the old hinge. Easy way to remove the old hinges and reuse those holes.

gyro

GSN Contributor
cut your control surface off, then use a hot soldering iron to melt out the old hinge. Easy way to remove the old hinges and reuse those holes.

Ryan, what heat setting do you use?

Also, does the melted plasitc drip out, or just burn up in smoke?

-G

ryan_m

100cc
I only have one heat setting, I use a weller 40 watt pencil tip one. I used the medium sized tip (about 1/8" wide) and just went after it. It pretty much burns up in smoke. Stinks a bit, but works well!

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador

I know we are talking about an 89 slick but just to make sure new folks understand... this is for robart style hinges. This will not work on CA hinges you find in smaller planes.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I only have one heat setting, I use a weller 40 watt pencil tip one. I used the medium sized tip (about 1/8" wide) and just went after it. It pretty much burns up in smoke. Stinks a bit, but works well!

I know we are talking about an 89 slick but just to make sure new folks understand... this is for robart style hinges. This will not work on CA hinges you find in smaller planes.

Going to give it a try this evening. Does it ruin the soldering iron tip?

I'll have the fan running!

-G

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Just let it burn off the soldering tip. I would try removing any left-over residue with some high grit sandpaper.

njswede

150cc
Re: 3DHS --FLY LOW-- Always OFF TOPIC thread

I have an burnt out junk tip for this and for cutting covering. Using the tips for anything but solders leaves carbon residue and sanding eventually wears the tip down.

zmonster97

Fixed my 42" slick backyard flying video! Watch in hd.

[video=youtube;hQuc5s6NQdM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQuc5s6NQdM[/video]