• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

30% Pilot Carbon EDGE Build & Discussion

bruceman

50cc
By the way, for my plane building, I'm using a fully adjustable plane stand made by rcairplanestands.com
This stand is excellent for building. fully adjustable for any plane, at any angle or height. They are a bit pricey at over $200, but you won't be sorry.
This stand can be used in the build room or the field. IMO the best plane stand on the market!!!!

I have one of those I use for field work. I use the EF one for my bench as I don't have the space in the shop for the stand with 2 tables.

AKfreak

150cc
The info is great, Also I moved the questions from the fly in thread to your build thread. Thanks for your time.

The carbon panels you used to trim the inside of the plane, what thickness are they?

Do those carbon panels come out easily? That is to say, can they be removed to do post flight inspections and access the hidden aeras of the plane?

I know Carbon Fiber rejects radio waves, what Receiver do you use, and is there any signal/range loss?

When you cut those panels, what tools do you use, and how to you avoid breathing the dust?

That Artwork is incredible, at first I thought it was a prototype plane from Pilot, did you design the artwork?

Can you speak to the weights of the plane (whats the AUW)?

How much added weight did all the panels, paint and graphics add to the AUW?

AKfreak

150cc
By the way, for my plane building, I'm using a fully adjustable plane stand made by rcairplanestands.com
This stand is excellent for building. fully adjustable for any plane, at any angle or height. They are a bit pricey at over $200, but you won't be sorry.
This stand can be used in the build room or the field. IMO the best plane stand on the market!!!!

If I ever found one used for a great deal, I would buy it for sure. I am too much of a cheapskate to pay full price for some things. The stand looks very nice, much better then my PVC turd I built.

Lojik

70cc twin V2
Hi Bruce :)

Can't wait to start my 540

20140822_204035.jpg

Is there a difference when you say Carbon Edge, mine is just the Carbon version of the kit but i''m pretty sure they don't make the non carbon version any more?

My Setup will be:
Pilot RC 30% Edge - Blue
Pilot RC 20kg Titanium Servo's x 5
Savox Servo for Throttle (will update when i get home what type)
EME60
Pitts Muffler with smoke connection
4titude Tank 16oz x 2
BoomaRC AR Power Bus
2 x 2600mah Boomarc LifePO4 Packs
Ultra IBEC Tech Aero
Spot-on and Seacraft Accessories
Unknown prop yet

Last edited by a moderator:

3dbandit

100cc
Hi Bruce :)

Can't wait to start my 540

View attachment 29213

Is there a difference when you say Carbon Edge, mine is just the Carbon version of the kit but i''m pretty sure they don't make the non carbon version any more?

My Setup will be:
Pilot RC 30% Edge - Blue
Pilot RC 20kg Titanium Servo's x 5
Savox Servo for Throttle (will update when i get home what type)
EME60
Pitts Muffler with smoke connection
4titude Tank 16oz x 2
BoomaRC AR Power Bus
2 x 2600mah Boomarc LifePO4 Packs
Ultra IBEC Tech Aero
Spot-on and Seacraft Accessories
Unknown prop yet

He installed Carbon Bling all over the inside of his edge. Made it look very clean.

bruceman

50cc
Hi AK,
Here are the answers to your questions:

1) Three thicknesses of carbon fiber were used. .25mm, .5mm, 1.0mm The .25mm was used along with different
thicknesses of light ply, depending on the application. .5mm was used in some areas for increased strength. 1.0mm was
used on some of the removable panels for rigidity.
2) Some of the panels are removable for maintenance, some panels are not removable because they are added to increase
strength in some areas. I will provide pictures and explain as we go through the build.
3) It is true that carbon fiber can cause significant RF signal issues. I'm using a Spektrum AR9300 receiver with dual remote
antenna modules. The AR9300 is designed specifically for applications that utilize carbon fiber in the airframe construction
(gliders primarily). There is a total of four antennas in the carbon EDGE. Two internal, Two external.
4) I will do a separate post on working with carbon fiber.
5) The artwork for the graphics was done by Eric @ B&E Graphix. The graphics are a stock design he sells, that has been
modified for the Carbon EDGE.
6) AUW (dry) is 18.5 lbs., not bad considering a header / can set-up, full smoke system, power board, single rudder tray and
the slight weight increase of the DA60 over the DA50.
7) a 1" X 1" square piece of .25mm carbon fiber weighs only .20 grams. The addition of the carbon fiber is insignificant in
terms of weight. Some of the strengthening panels added a little weight, but some areas of the original airframe were cut
out and replaced with these panels, primarily the floor of the fuselage. There is very little weight change to the modified
airframe from the stock airframe.

Last edited by a moderator:

bruceman

50cc
When working with carbon fiber, you will soon find that traditional tools such as files, dremel bits etc. wear out very quickly. Carbon fiber is tough stuff, but amazingly easy to shape if the right tools are used. You will also find that carbon fiber sheeting will not conform to geometric shapes, especially when working with thicknesses above .25mm.
Here are some tools I use for carbon fiber work:
1) Carbide dremel bits, high speed steel bits will wear quickly
2) Dremel 1/4" and 1/2" drum sanding bits
3) 15" X 15" paper cutter
4) Diamond impregnated needle files (http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-diamond-grit-needle-file-set-69876.html) A MUST HAVE!!!!
5) Rubberized laminate roller for bonding the carbon fiber to the desired surface (can be purchased at your local home improvement center)
6) Surgical grade face mask, carbon fiber dust is very fine, Walmart dust masks will not provide the proper protection. Most pharmacies sell surgical grade masks.
7) A belt sander is a great plus to have, a belt sander can be purchased for under $100 (not a must have but makes nice smooth edges on panels)

I buy my carbon fiber panels from Protech Composites (http://www.protechcomposites.com/)
I use the single side gloss panels, one side is rough for good adhesion. The panels can be ordered with a separate adhesive sheet. I recommend you use the adhesive sheets whenever possible instead of glues or epoxies. This adhesive is extremely strong. Once applied to wood, you will destroy the wood trying to remove it so make sure your placement is correct! I will do another post with pictures of actually preparing a panel.