• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Didn't do a lot this evening, but I did finish up the wing and got the out line of the horizontal drawn using the one shape from the Gordon Whitehead plans.

43.jpg

To determine the size, I figured out the % of the wing span the stab span is. It was 42%, so 42% of 71" came to 29 and a
bunch of decimals so I rounded up to 30 inches. The cord at the biggest point worked out to 11 3/4 inches. Now I'm just going to design a simple truss out of 3/8"x 1/2" balsa. I'm also thinking that the Elevators will be joined and utilize a hidden control horn, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Dude,

You need to charge for the drawings. You are putting ALLOT of hard work into drawing them and making sure they aRE right. . . . :big_yes:

Yea it's quite a bit of work, but I'm doing it for me. When I'm all finished if someone else wants to give it a go, all I could ask is to get credit for changing the original design :)

Maybe this just might have to be a first plan built plane....though I think I would need some serious help with the bipe portion of it! Never have seen how all that fits up together. Though, at my pace it will take 3-4 years to complete (what say you @HRRC Flyer ? LOL)

Hey @Alky6,

This would make an AWESOME first plan built plane. Biplane aren't really more difficult, you just have to build twice as many wings. . . . . :laughing:. Plus, you have @Bipeguy03 and the rest of the guys on this site who have far more building knowledge than you and I put together. I say, go for it.

Yep, Bipes are no harder and only a little more work than monoplanes. Most of the tricky stuff would be figured out by the designer, which is some of the stuff I'm doing.

I will warn you though......... Once you build a bipe you'll be addicted :D

Bipeguy03

150cc
Well got the Horizontal and elevator drawing finished today. I'm using 3/8x 1/2 inch balsa just like the fin and rudder, and like the wingtips the tips of the stab will be laminated out of 5 laminates of 3/32. Then it will have hardwood dowels inserted into the leading and trailing edge of the stab as mounting points for tail brace wires.

44.jpg

I then turned my attention to the "N" struts. Now, most likely these will need to be tweaked but the drawing should be close. I'm making them out of 3 pieces of 1/4" plywood instead of the single piece of 1/8" ply the original plans call for, then some balsa fillets for the shape in the corners.

45.jpg

Bipeguy03

150cc
Dad got to going through his pictures for me and came up with a few more pictures of Grampa's Krier. The best thing is, I had already finished drawing my wing tips and horizontal tail when dad found these. I'm feeling pretty good about my ability to think like my Grampa now lol :D

The fella holding the plane was a fellow club member of dad and grampa.

46.jpg

47.jpg

49.jpg

This was the Picture that Don Anderson of Great Planes took at MERFI. MERFI stands for Mid Eastern Regional Fly In, it was a full scale evert that used to be held every September at the Marion, Ohio airport. Don later mailed this copy of his picture to grampa. It is a pretty neat picture as you can see the servo or "boost" tabs he built into all the control surfaces, and can really see the one on the elevator as it is deflected.

48.jpg