• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

BalsaDust

I'm in love with the framing on this thing. You have done really nice clean work.

What are you hoping the all up weight will be when done??

Bipeguy03

150cc
I'm in love with the framing on this thing. You have done really nice clean work.

What are you hoping the all up weight will be when done??

Dad is pretty sure Grampa's weight 18lbs (that was with equipment from the late 70's early 80's) I'd like to hit 16lbs but as long as I don't go over 18 I'll be happy. I'm going to cover it with Sig Koverall and dope, that will be some weight, I'm sure one built conservatavly and covered with Monokote would be considerably lighter.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Got my Sig order today, unfortunately my luck set in and the wood I was waiting for the most (1/4x3/8 stringers) were not the right size as they sent 3/16x3/8. Sig was absolutely awesome about it though, 5 minute phone call and the right stuff was sent out today, I got to keep the wrong size stuff, and they even threw in another 4 sticks of the correct size to give me an even 20.

Everything else in the order was spot on, so as soon as I had the time I promptly turned some of it into dust and shavings!

106.jpg

Got the wing saddle blocks carved, and the 1/4sq forward stringers on.

107.jpg

1/4" lite-ply firewall is in ready to start making cabane blocks.

108.jpg

Some how the side of F3 were 1/8" too short, beautiful thing about balsa though just put a little scrap piece on it and sand it down to shape. I have to check my plans to see if I need to adjust my drawings.

109.jpg

Forward and rear main cabane struts, the rear wire is a little longer than the front to compensate for the airfoil.

110.jpg

Putting in the cabane blocks.

111.jpg

still have to put a couple of gussets on the bottom mount but have the front cabane ready to go!

Last edited:

Bipeguy03

150cc
Have I mentioned how much I really, REALLY like my K&S wire bender? lol Just about have the cabanes ready to solder.

The top wing mounts on the top of the cabanes will be made of .025 thick 4130 chromoly steel, I got dad to stick a sheet of it on one of his Aircraft Spruce orders so I didn't have to pay shipping ;)

112.jpg

Mocking up the stingers so I know were to put the diagonal brace, once they are all soldered I can finish putting the front stingers in and get the nose sheeted.

113.jpg

I'll like it more when there is a wing sitting on top of them there pieces of wire! lol

Bipeguy03

150cc
Now we're cooking with fire!!!!

The proper sized sticks for the stingers got here from Sig this morning and I've been going to town since breakfast lol. Got the cabane as far along as I could until the chromoly for the mounting tabs get here from Aircraft Spruce. So I'm on to putting the bulkheads on for the final time and putting the stringers on.

114.jpg

Now it's really starting to look like an airplane!

115.jpg

I'm really pleased with the shape, I will have to make some adjustments to a few of the former drawings as not all of the stringer notches are in the correct spots, easy fix on the plane but if people want a copy of the plans I want them to be as close as possible.

116.jpg

I'm going to be building wings before long!!

Some more shots of the Cabanes, I don't think I got the brace wires quite the same shape as Grampa's but they are close enough. Once I get the top wing mounts made I will put some small fillets in the corners of the diagonal.

117.jpg

118.jpg

119.jpg