• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

103" Extra 330SC Building, Flying, and Questions

djmoose

70cc twin V2
I like my old school DX7 but had a few issues with signal loss and stuff like that, so I switched to the Aurora 9. I haven't ever had one glitch on that radio in 3 seasons. However, the latency is high so I wanted something faster. I'll never use a spektrum radio in something I really care about. I don't care about dsmx or what not...just never felt confident in them and not too happy about all of the recalls and bugs.

It's just my personal choice, basically...same as why I'm measuring throw on each servo and getting the geometry as correct as possible while not using matching on the ailerons.

I've also decided that I hate the hitec programmer. You should be able to set the pulse width measurements of your radio and you simply cant. I measured my A9 and it's center is at 1515us....so it's not even correct for that radio. I have found this site:
http://www.aeroperfect.com/tips/cal/program_on-plane.html
which also has a spreadsheet to help you figure out the correct numbers to use based on YOUR radios actual pulse widths. Pretty cool...except you shouldn't have to do that.

I only had 1 minor issue with my A9 where is somehow deleted all the sub trims in a model. My personal experience with Spektrum has been positive. I am interested to see how your 8FG experience goes.

I have only used the programmer to verify deadband and to reverse a few.

I setup my dual ailerons inside the DX18 and used the balancer function to stop binding through the whole travel. I need to redo mine to get more travel. Does the 8FG have a function to set subtrims at different travel points?

I am slowly redoing my dual elevators in my planes. My 70" EF extra has a huge imbalance about 2/3rds travel down that required 46 points of correction. I could have redone the geometry to get it perfect, but this feature meant that I did not have to.

Joe's Dad

70cc twin V2
P1240138.jpg

teookie

70cc twin V2
I would love to go to Nall. I was thinking of looking into renting a RV to make it easier for the family to come. Should probably start saving my pennies now, LOL.

Santi8

70cc twin V2
When my dad found out I started doing vinyl and was back into this hobby, he immediately discussed bringing his huge RV down to Nashville for storage and to use at events! ummmmm... yes please! Knoxville was my first event and I had an absolute blast! Next year I'll be more prepared, but the back of my SUV and a 24 pack of yeungling was the perfect recipe to a good time and a great night's sleep at my first event!