• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

ZTW ESCs Q&A

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Thanks, all... I do appreciate the fair-minded help and support. I'm in the position to wait since I don't even have possession of the airframe yet and still deciding on the battery configuration. I may not be ready until the end of September. I have a 35% Godfrey Laser 200 project I'm working on that I already have an HV ESC for (160A) to run the Q80-6L to 144A with a 25x10TH Mejzlik.

I'm actually waiting to order the EF Extra 300 EXP and put an 8S setup in it with the HV ZTW 120A. The goal is as close to 2800 Watts as possible with a 20x10 or 20x11 Mejzlik electric prop.

Please keep me posted!

Jim

AltitudeHobbies

GSN SPONSOR
Jim,

We finally figured out the discrepancy between the sizes Quantum sells and what was listed in our catalog. ZTW makes 3 series of ESCs: A-series, B-series, and Land Power series. We cannot sell the B-series as they are sold under a different name through another US retailer (they are only available for OEM orders). B-series is very similar to the A-series just with slightly different firmware that provides a few extra features mostly geared toward helis. What Quantum does is they purchase certain B-series models with A-series firmware; that is why they have additional sizes available that we don't carry such as the 120A HV. We'll probably do the same in our next order; however, the Land Power ESCs (which we are currently testing) are identical to B-series just with a different label. So, we might start carrying these soon instead of bringing in the B-series models with A-series firmware.

Sorry, I know it is confusing! I tried my best to explain it! :)

Garret

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Thanks, Garret. You explained it perfectly. Sorry I didn't stop by sooner, but thanks for the information. I'm still in no rush because I already have the HV160 I need for the current project, which is taking a lot longer than I expected, and a bit more of an investment. Ouch!!

AltitudeHobbies

GSN SPONSOR
Our new ZTW Land Power ESCs are now in stock! http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brushless-esc/ztw-land-power-escs

IMG_3345.jpg

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Hi Garret,

My buddy, Frank, is putting a few Extreme Flight RC planes together for the season here in Florida. He may be stopping by your Web site to pick up a few ESC's to match up to his two new Motrolfly motors and I forwarded him your explanation of the A and B types. Most of the planes I'm putting together right now do need HV120 and HV160 ESC's so I did go with Castle, but we will get a chance to take a close look at ZTW finally. Thanks, again, for your help.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Garret, I am looking at the ZTW line as well both the B-series and your Land Series. The caps look vulnerable sticking out like that or are the secured well as you cant see that side? I remember when Castle had issues and I had to send my Ice back to get the plastic on them for re-enforcement is why I ask.

Thanks in advance.

AltitudeHobbies

GSN SPONSOR
I'll be honest, the caps are somewhat exposed. We've sold quite a few of the Land Powers and have only had issues with one in which a cap broke loose. They seem to hold up fine to vibration, but a hit in the wrong place could knock one off. The ZTW A-series don't have this issue -- the caps are fully wrapped in the heatshrink. We've told ZTW about it and they responded by adding heatshrink over the caps on the Land Powers which seemed to have made them stronger. We've suggested that they make a plastic holder to reinforce them, and we're hoping they will do this in the next production. For now, we are suggesting that customers who have bought Land Powers without the factory applied heatshrink add a piece of heatshrink around both the caps....this should mitigate any problems.

Garret

wedoitall

which ZTW are most people using in a 46-48" size airframe. ill be wanting to use a separate bec. motorfly 2815-950 and a Omega 130. from the specs. looks like the A series is gear toward planes alil more and B heli's?