• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

ZTW ESCs Q&A

SnowDog

We're lucky enough at 3DRCForums to have both of the US retailers of ZTW ESCs as Site Sponsors.
Please use this thread for discussion of their use and capabilities, and use the Altitude Hobbies or Quantum Hobby Vendor Forums for specific retailer questions.

------

I own and really like ZTW ESCs and BECs. I've heard that ZTW has or is coming out with ESC's (with built-in BECs) that can set the BEC voltage to 5.0, 5.5, or 6.0 volts...do you know anything about this, and if so, about how soon they might be available?

Last edited by a moderator:

AltitudeHobbies

GSN SPONSOR
I own and really like ZTW ESCs and BECs. I've heard that ZTW has or is coming out with ESC's (with built-in BECs) that can set the BEC voltage to 5.0, 5.5, or 6.0 volts...do you know anything about this, and if so, about how soon they might be available?

Yep, they are called Land Power (brand name) and are now available. They are nearly identical to the A series with the exception of the adjustable BEC voltage and a few other additional parameters. We just placed a trial order for some of the ProBro guys to test them out for us. If all goes well, we will probably be bringing them in for sale -- as of right now, there are no US retailers selling them.

Garret

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
I can't believe I don't own one of these yet. I've gone to two other Web sites to buy them, and they were out of stock each time I needed one and ended up with something else. I have just about every other ESC out there from an Airboss 45A to two Castle Ice2 HV160's. My son Tom and I have 17 air-read models and I think there are only two ESC brands that are the same... maybe two Motrolflys in the two Extreme Flight 48's. I'm going to need another HV ESC for an 8S setup I'm thinking about. Let me ask one question...

I typically leave a lot of headroom for Amps now, and it seems to be paying off well here in the heat of Florida. My 16 year old son is not easy on planes... example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HolRNJCMwlM

If my setup is predicted to produce 95 Amps on 8S swinging a 20x11e CF prop to near 2800 Watts, do you think the ZTW HV100 OPTO is enough? I would typical be looking at a 110A or 120A with this current and I don't see an HV rated higher than 100A on your Web site.

Thanks,
Jim

AltitudeHobbies

GSN SPONSOR
Hey, Jim -- 95A would probably be cuttin' it close as it is generally recommended to choose an ESC rated at 120% of your max current. So, using this calculation you would want about a 115A. It would probably work fine, you would just need to pay careful attention to your amps.

I wish I would have known what you were looking for last week! This new series made by ZTW called Land Power (that I referred to above) offers a 120A HV size, and I placed a trial order last week for some guys to test them out. I can probably get another one if you are interested (and get you a good deal on it), but it will take about 1-1/2 to 2 weeks. If all goes well, we'll be stocking the LP series in the shop soon.

Unfortunately, in the ZTW A-series line, the only HV model is the 100A. However, my catalog shows that the 110A model with the built-in SBEC can be used with up to 12s -- I'm not sure if this is a typo or if it is capable of handling that voltage with the BEC disabled. I just sent ZTW an email about this -- I will let you know when they reply.

Thanks,
Garret

AltitudeHobbies

GSN SPONSOR
Not sure why Altitude Hobbies doesn't have the 110HV or 120HV, but they do exist and Quantum Hobbies (another site sponsor) does carry them:

http://www.quantumhobby.com/ZTW-Brushless-Speed-Controls-s/370.htm

For some reason, ZTW only offers the 100A HV to us -- I don't know if there is some special deal between Quantum and ZTW, or if they no longer offer those sizes and Quantum just has old stock. I'll check with my rep and see if we can get these other models as well.

Garret

Manta

70cc twin V2
Hi guys. I will be in the market for a 120 amp esc pretty soon too and was thinking of trying a ZTW for my project. Have any if you guys used them for 12s? Was wondering about throttle responce and durability. Thanks!

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Thanks, Garrett. Keep me informed on how things develop. I have a kit with a 101 inch wingspan on the bench now that will use an Ice2 HV 160 on 12S with the Hacker Q80-6L, but I am stalled in this project until I can get the glass work painted. In the meantime, I'm thinking about the 8 or 10 cell setup that will need a 120 HV OPTO ESC, so let me know how things develop.

I've heard so many good things about the ZTW and I wish I knew about them sooner.

Jim

AltitudeHobbies

GSN SPONSOR
Hi, Jim -- I contacted ZTW with a couple questions and they forgot to answer about the 120A. He was writing me the night before they were leaving for the Shangai model expo, so they are out of the office at the moment. I'll try to get an answer out of them as soon as possible; in the meantime, it would probably be best for you to order it from Quantum Hobby as it will be a be a couple weeks before we could get one in anyway. We'll get this figured out and try to get some in next order!

Thanks,
Garret

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hi, Jim -- I contacted ZTW with a couple questions and they forgot to answer about the 120A. He was writing me the night before they were leaving for the Shangai model expo, so they are out of the office at the moment. I'll try to get an answer out of them as soon as possible; in the meantime, it would probably be best for you to order it from Quantum Hobby as it will be a be a couple weeks before we could get one in anyway. We'll get this figured out and try to get some in next order!

Thanks,
Garret

W O W

Site Sponsors supporting each other! This is what this hobby and site are all about! Way to go Garret, you really showed what kind of guy you are with that post.