• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Your Opinion-This is not a "Which radio is best" thread!!!

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
I fly everything from gliders to IMAC with a spectrum dx8 , does everything simply and reliably. Perfect hand feel/ ergonomics, all others feel awkward and heavy now.

I had JR transmitters 6502, 8103, 10x and 11x covering 15 years of flying. Never had an issue and never lost a plane. I trusted them and never looked at anything else. I gave up on JR when they went to DSM whatever because I had too many JR and Spektrum receivers and choose not to sell and start all over. I have a DX8 now as the 11x just started feeling too big??????So easy to program and fills my needs. It fits my hands nicely. I watched my friends use them for several years and never saw any issues so I got one.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Always been a Futaba guy From AM attack 4's to now the 14sg. I have always been accustomed to positive shift and ability to learn their radios quickly. I am challenged now with the 14sg. Inputting data with the touch dial is causing me aggravation just to stay in the selected menu. Maybe it is my "body chemistry?". I was that geek kid who's eye glasses turned green on the sides.
I could have gotten the 18mz but IMO 3K$???? NO radio is worth that. The 9z was a great radio and I would still be using it with a 2.4 module if it were not for a cheeseburger and 32oz Coke. I still have my 10cap with 2.4 module and it has been GREAT! Now I know why the New version 10c is 50$ more than the 14sg but it does not do telemetry.

Gobeil

New to GSN!
I have had all 9 channels (and up) JR radios. None of these radios gave me any problems. (Apart from the use of 53Mhz overseas that made me lose 2 pattern planes, several years apart, and both late afternoon. We (modellers) were officially sharing this frequency with radio amateurs and they were not supposed to transmit until dark. Did they transmit a bit earlier ?).

On JR's side : The Bind & Fly is a tremendous feature and the Power Safe Rx's a huge advantage. (I do not have to buy 2 Rx's, 2 power switches and a power device for each large plane to feel secure about the power and signal distribution system.)

I also have a Futaba 14SG and it is a very good radio and has excellent programming options. The RF link range seems to be superior to JR's DMSS, specially when affected by a sport camera’s Wi-Fi system. I must mention that I have never had a range or RF problem with JR's DSMX and DMSS 2.4GHZ.

The programming touch wheel on this SG14 is a disaster as compared to the Futaba 10 channel's mechanical system.
It overshoots and/or undershoots the selected option all the time and I have to keep coming back and forth to get the option I want.
I fly with index and thumb on the sticks and the base of my right thumb touches regularly the wheel, WHILE FLYING, so I have to electronically lock the wheel before each flight.

This Futaba model does not have the smooth stick feel of the JR's.
As far as I have seen so far, this is the "cheapest" 9 channel and up that Futaba has ever produced. Disappointing !

I have a XG11 as well and even though it is a very good radio, it is anemic in terms of potentiometer and slider options. The 25 year old 10 channels have more.

These are my feelings about 2 systems that I would not have any problems putting in my most expensive planes. I do not know personally the other makes, so I cannot comment.

I hope that I have been objective in my criticism and that they can help you make a choice.

yakken

100cc
Me and my brother are still using the a9. Prolly a couple thousand flights on each and not one problem. 30 to 40 centers. I have had about all the brands and no problems.

I'm diggin on the JR DMSS stuff. For 1, I like the fact that JR is shying away from remote Rx's, except for their 11ch power safe Rx. The XG11 is their upper tier radio, next to the soon to be released 28X. I own the XG11, as well as the 11X. There are a few programming features that are a little different between the 2, but in just a few minutes, I had those features fingered out.

Futaba has good equipment, as does Airtronics. If I ever decide to stop using JR, I will be picking up an Airtronics system.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I'm diggin on the JR DMSS stuff. For 1, I like the fact that JR is shying away from remote Rx's, except for their 11ch power safe Rx. The XG11 is their upper tier radio, next to the soon to be released 28X. I own the XG11, as well as the 11X. There are a few programming features that are a little different between the 2, but in just a few minutes, I had those features fingered out.

Futaba has good equipment, as does Airtronics. If I ever decide to stop using JR, I will be picking up an Airtronics system.
Wow....great responses. I do appreciate it. Funny you should mention the Airtronics Chris. A friend of mine showed me his right after I upgraded from the A9 to the A9X. I was very impressed. Years ago when I first started in this hobby, I had Futaba radios. All of them worked great. Well, 'cept for the AM radios. LOL. I also had a number of Airtronics and I was very pleased with their reliability. Can't say I ever had any issues with them. Yet, when I upgraded to a nicer radio a number of years back, it was the Futaba 8UAF. Later on, I purchased a Hitec 2.4 Module for the Futaba. Really loved that radio. I am sure the gentleman in Brazil that purchased it is loving it as well. When I found myself using the A9 I thought it was a way cool radio. LOTS of really good features. My son also bought one. Like some, He has had ZERO issues with his. Mine was PURE junk. Our setups are identical and I have to believe my original was not near the radio his was. Now going into the 2015 flying season, I want something really really nice. Especially with the new Sukhoi and the upcoming 50%'er I am planning to purchase very shortly.

So what about the servo matching on all these radios guys? My A9X is so completely easy, a three year old could set them up. I don't want to use anything other than straight connection from servo to rx. or power distribution board. With the Hitec, setting throws on each servo is great, but I really want a completely silent hush from the servos when deflected to their max throws.

Another very important feature for me is "feel". I don't have HUGE hands so being a thumber, I have to have something that really keeps me in touch with all my controls. I do like the way the new JR feels. A friend of mine has a 14MZ Futaba. To me, the Futaba just feels, cumbersome. Is it just me?

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
How the radio feels in your hands is "paramount" IMHO. The Spectrums feel way to wide and is very uncomfortable for me.
I am a thumb flyer and range of motion is now a big issue in me digits. I use a neck strap when concentration and focus are really needed but when just banging around free hand is no problem. I weighed the 14sg and 10c and they are within an ounce and a half with each other with the 14sg the heavier.