• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Xfc 2014!

AKfreak

150cc
There has been a few crews hired by xfc, on site all week.

There have been interviews of every pilot, and videos of every flight.

It is very hard to have live coverage as the event never stops. Events like nall and seff stop at night, and are slow paced.

Xfc is a high energy competition that never stops. There is too much going on at all times of the day to stop and post info.
I understand what you are saying, I just don't buy it. I agree live coverage is not easily done for a reasonable cost. However there can be daily vids shot ( short clips, bumpers, interviews, ect) that can be done on day one, and be edited and uploaded on day two. Standings can be posted real time almost. And 1min BTS vids can be uploaded daily as they happen.

The way it should work is there should be a media center with many workstations, and editors, and production assistants working to process all of the content.

The Photogs, and Videographers should be out and about with crews capturing the content and runners should be shuttling media from the capture points to the media center so the people generating content can stay working, and the production can be happening at the same time, with it all uploading as soon as possible.

Along side of the editors and assistants, should be some writers and bloggers that feed stills and written content in real time to the various social media outlets.

Combine the media center with the actual crews working directly for Futaba, and the other pre screened credential holding crews (the invited people), the media center/press room becomes a social media gold mine.

Looking at the past performance of the XFC I hope they have made some major changes from years past (so far it doesn't show from where I am looking).

The flying completion is awesome, it always has been. You know that has nothing to do with Futaba right? It's you guys ( the pilots) who work so hard developing the skills and building kick ass planes and traveling that make the event so special.

Look at XFC website for this event, for a company like Futaba, they didn't really invest much effort in it. I guess in a nutshell, for the hobby to grow, things need to change majorly. If one of the biggest RC companies in the world misses the mark like this over and over, who is going to be the one to step up and lead by example?

Last edited by a moderator:

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Just got this message from @3dbandit

"So, I had engine trouble when I just went up, the whole front end of my airplane had to be ripped apart within 15 minutes or I would be DQ'd.

Up runs Andrew Jesky and a massive pit crew with every tool imaginable.

Within ten minutes we were able to change everything except the engine block, servos, RX, and RX batteries, and have the plane in the air.

This included soldering all new connectors...

The RC community (especially the top pilots) Rocks."

Thats so great to hear, Very Classy! Way to go [MENTION=2838]Andrew Jesky[/MENTION]!!

I noticed at Joe Nall the Hobby King of all people had the best coverage team. They had a small crew and they were out shooting and making content the whole event.

I was going to say to check out Higher plane productions, but Fred just announced he is hanging up the hat for his event coverage.

I know from my previous experience in Television production how much work goes into this sort of thing.

The Horizon Air (cough JET) meet is going to be here again in a few months and they don't bring out that big of a media crew either and they are the biggest vendor in the US.

AKfreak

150cc
As I said, all of these people are sleeping at the switch IMO. Videos don't Ned to be long, 1 to 3 mins of interesting stuff is all you need. Anymore than that people just don't watch. It's not hard to make short videos, it just takes effort. Anyway, you know how I feel, not that it's going to change anything, Doh!

RKEstes

50cc
When I was drag racing we commonly had live media stream feeds from all of the bigger outlaw races. I would imagine that the money and demand just aren't there for RC events. The streams were usually always free and depended on promoter/sponsor monies.

These guys cover an event most every weekend. http://motormaniatv.com/

AKfreak

150cc
Jase the ace is on top after day 2, Spencer is in 3rd, there are bunch incredible pilots these guys are ahead of. And my buddy Ben is 5th in helis.