• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Which electrical connector do you prefer, and why?

gyro

GSN Contributor
In response to a question from another thread, we ask the age old question: which connector is better, and why?

I am using Edge Lite 100 and BEC with the Torque MKII motor. I will be using 6s likely 4000 mah. I was wondering if anyone has used Dean connectors for this setting. Is it safe to use the deans for 6s? or should I use EC5?

I've used them, however I like the ec5 better.

What's really cool are the new castle connectors. Think ec5 with better/sturdier plastic. We're reviewing them, and they are beefy :)
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/castle_connectors.html

I use Anderson Power Poles aka Sermos connectors. Heli guys use them in 12s 700 helicopters. For many of us, a crimp connection is better than our soldering skills, but connectors is a religious topic.

Fast3D

50cc
I use Anderson Power Poles aka Sermos connectors. Heli guys use them in 12s 700 helicopters. For many of us, a crimp connection is better than our soldering skills, but connectors is a religious topic.

Very interesting. Thanks. Is the Anderson Power Pole a crimp connection? Can you use it for motor/ESC connection too? I thought a good soldering was the best!

is this the place to buy it?

http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-p...30-amp-red-black-anderson-powerpole-sets.html

SnowDog

Yes that is the place to get them. Solder is good so is crimp...harderer to get good solder joints on larger gauge wire for me anyway. I'm converting over to PPs thanks to rcbirk :) I like the crimp connector...and yes they can be used for motor to esc as well...there is even a locking pin available for that.

Fast3D

50cc
Wow, I'm glad I found this, since I;m so bad with soldering. I started reading that website a little. They seem to work pretty good and without effort. Is 45 amp enough though? Where do you get the locking pin? thanks.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Wow, I'm glad I found this, since I;m so bad with soldering. I started reading that website a little. They seem to work pretty good and without effort. Is 45 amp enough though? Where do you get the locking pin? thanks.

45a is not enough if that is what they're rated for. I'll stick with the ec5 or the new CC connectors (200a!)
Since both are a "cup" type solder joint, they're easy to do, and then just insert the bullet into the connector.

45A is a rating for 440 volt systems or something like that. Deans are only rated for like 30A or something like that in the commercial electrician guide book. Heli guys use them in 12s 700s with who knows how many amps and there is a 30 minute rant in the one of the RC today show episode from James the electrician about this very topic.

Bottom line is you can use these for this application. For the ESC/motor side the wire has to be crushable for these to work.

A good solder joint is best, but many of us don't have expert soldering skills.

Personally I use 4mm bullets on my motor side and APPs on all my batteries. I have used them all the way up to 50cc electric.

This is a religious topic and I don't want to get this thread super off track.

gyro

GSN Contributor
45A is a rating for 440 volt systems or something like that. Deans are only rated for like 30A or something like that in the commercial electrician guide book. Heli guys use them in 12s 700s with who knows how many amps and there is a 30 minute rant in the one of the RC today show episode from James the electrician about this very topic.

Bottom line is you can use these for this application. For the ESC/motor side the wire has to be crushable for these to work.

A good solder joint is best, but many of us don't have expert soldering skills.

Personally I use 4mm bullets on my motor side and APPs on all my batteries. I have used them all the way up to 50cc electric.

This is a religious topic and I don't want to get this thread super off track.

Good info, thanks Matt. Seems like we need to work on an article about connectors! Any volunteers? :p