• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

What's Up With 3DHS??

hone

150cc
Just wanted to say these are very small companies. Not couple hundred employees small but 3-4 small. EF is Curtis, Chris, and Melissa. 3DHS is Noll, Ben, and I think they have one more guy who works the warehouse.

Also, these companies definitely bring in more small planes than big planes at one time. Although the 125" is always in stock I'm sure they have 1 or 2 that have been sitting for a loooong time and they're not bringing in more until those sell. On the other hand the 104" is so popular it'll sell out in a day. There are quite a few post from the EF guys explaining how they drop 10s of thousands of dollars at a time on containers and bring in as much as they can. They try to guess which planes they need a lot of and which they don't need as many. Sometimes they guess right and stock last a long time(or at least until the next container) and sometimes they guess wrong and they'll sell out quick.

I wish these guys could afford to hire another person or two but that'll come with higher prices.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
Horizon Hobby is huge and not really in the same class as 3DHS or EF. I do believe 3DHS builds as many planes as possible given the contraints of doing business with a Chinese factory, plus there is the problem of filling the expensive shipping container, they aren't gonna come every few weeks, that will never happen. The planes are just TOO popular. They come in stock and they sell out right away. I love 3DHS planes, I have 5 of them (57" and below) but I'm now starting to look elsewhere due to the "out of stock" problem, I just can't really deal with it anymore. There are lots of planes on the market and with the proper setup most of them can be made to fly well. However, if you want an under 60 inch electric, there really isn't much choice, it's going to be 3DHS or EF, although we now have the AJ Aircraft 56 Laser.

3dRCparts.com

70cc twin V2
Scott is no longer with 3dhs or model airplanes for that matter. Please don't compare a splendor to a vanquish, not in the same league, and the splendor is heavily discounted (469.00 when it came out) due to lack of sales and sub-pare flight characteristics.

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
Scott is no longer with 3dhs or model airplanes for that matter. Please don't compare a splendor to a vanquish, not in the same league, and the splendor is heavily discounted (469.00 when it came out) due to lack of sales and sub-pare flight characteristics.

I believe the Splendor will be discontinued or it may have already been discontinued. HH does foam well, they don't seem to be able to make a quality balsa 3D plane. Hangar 9 makes beautiful warbirds though, but that's not what we're about around here.

The main thing that I don't understand is service. Most people are willing to pay for good service.

So why would you not raise your prices 10% across the board and hire someone to answer the phone and pack a box every once in a while? I'm sure the service would more than justify the 10% in most people's minds.

gyro

GSN Contributor
The main thing that I don't understand is service. Most people are willing to pay for good service.

So why would you not raise your prices 10% across the board and hire someone to answer the phone and pack a box every once in a while? I'm sure the service would more than justify the 10% in most people's minds.

It's honestly simple... If they keep selling out the way things are run now, and the only downside is people bitching on the forums... Then why change?

From a business perspective, there really isn't any motivation to do things differently.

xlr8tion

50cc
I think one reason that so many things are out of stock is that they're doing a major refresh on their product lines. New extras, New edge etc... not an excuse for not answering the phone, though...

That would make sense to slowly titrate new models, while maintaining core inventory; rather than let everything (89% for 3HHS) go out of stock and kill your Cash Flow. You don't let your inventory diminish to 11 per cent as your cash flow drops proportionally. Plus...no need to re invent the wheel. They are proven designs and sell well when in stock. If these guys are mfg'ing China they have a serious supply chain mgmt issue.

Chris at EF is OOS on all the popular 48"s-the Edge and Extras.....The 125"s are in stock. Cash flow is KING and even if it is at a low net profit margin it allows you to scale up production and pay reoccurring monthly accounts payable.How can 3DHS pay the bills and expand with no incoming money? Too much (p) Hucking around and not enough attention on supply to demand scale up. Kudos to Chris at EF...at least he has half his FS ARFs in stock.

It is a big problem for those who want to BUILD and a BOON for those who want to LPU something for the third time.

And they don't have to change but 3DHS will go insolvent if they don't get their inventory in line. You can't fly what you can't buy.

Lastly...they should "change" as they started a business to make money-so scale it up and rake in the bucks. Or just (p)Huck it up til you reach the tipping point of no return. It's not complex.

No loss to me....Just making an observation based out of frustration. At least put up ETA dates... Do anything.

Anyone care to mention any other companies on par with their price structure and build quality that actually stock aircraft?

Thanks...Greg

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
It's honestly simple... If they keep selling out the way things are run now, and the only downside is people bitching on the forums... Then why change?

From a business perspective, there really isn't any motivation to do things differently.

Good point Gary. Change won't happen because they seem content with the business as it is. I changed who I buy from now because service does mean something to me.