• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Yippee! What the postman brought

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Good plan. I'm kind of partial to Dubro HD hardware, but not fond of their arms.
I like the heavy duty ball links but prefer the carbon rod an titanium threaded rod from Central hobbies as a push rod.
The first time I bought some I made a test rig to hang weight vertically on the linkage and horizontally centered on the carbon rod. It far exceeded anything else I tried before giving way. The plastic on the HD ball link snapped first on vertical weight pull and the carbon rod looked like an archers bow drawn before starting to splinter.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I like the heavy duty ball links but prefer the carbon rod an titanium threaded rod from Central hobbies as a push rod.
The first time I bought some I made a test rig to hang weight vertically on the linkage and horizontally centered on the carbon rod. It far exceeded anything else I tried before giving way. The plastic on the HD ball link snapped first on vertical weight pull and the carbon rod looked like an archers bow drawn before starting to splinter.
Thanks that is useful info know. When we start getting up there in loading we need to know what does and does not work.
As promised Snoops, a few photos of my rudder connections. I'll try to keep the photos in order.
First is pull/pull on my 33% Yak. One 403 ounce Hitec 7955. (Sorry if the photos are not horizontally arranged. I really just want you to stand on your head. Lol)

View attachment 108965 View attachment 108966

Second is push/pull arrangement on my Pilot Edge. Hitec 7954's.

View attachment 108967

Next is pull/pull on my Pilot 40% 330. Hitec 7980 x 2.

View attachment 108968 View attachment 108969

Next is pull/pull on my Behemoth Yak. Hitec 7990 x 2. Huge rudder, more than enough torque. Better be with the magnetic encoder and 611 ounces each.

View attachment 108970 View attachment 108971

Last is a single Hitec 7994 (403 ounce) on the 25 pound Jtec Pitts. I really can't say whether it's enough or not. I dont fly this plane hard. It is strictly for ooo...and ayah and poke holes in the sky. Bipe style.

View attachment 108972 View attachment 108973

Oh yeah, almost forgot the H9 Sukhoi. HS7950 x 2, (486 ounces each) push/pull configuration.

View attachment 108981

As for hardware, all basic HD whether pull/pull or push/pull configuration.

Hope the photos help you out.

Thanks for that I am up to speed now it looks like am using the same stuff you are on the last two big planes I built the 150cc stick and the ViperST. The only thing I had some difficulties with when trying to use carbon tubes. Had two problems the tube kept splitting and also pulling the threaded rod out of the tube. Fortunately I did not feel good about it so I build a test rig and messed around with it until it no longer failed. What I have ended up doing is as follows. When using carbon tube the end is sleeved with an aluminum tube about 1 1/2 long, then the tube i is filled about 1 to 1 1/2 inches with epoxy. Left to cure and then drilled and taped as required. Then a socket head screw is use the head cut off and the length is fully threaded. The the threaded part is then screwed into the tube with some epoxy and left cure, done ready to be used.
821C6B50-2F2B-4C54-B40E-0AF21FD3C72D.jpeg
C8CD915F-4FD0-49BC-94FF-654215D2E687.jpeg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Oh yippie.... So the post (LADY) hammered on my door with a rather resounding "WHAM, WHAM, WHAM". (I might have complained just a wee bit too much that she never knocks or rings the bell) Well, I definitely heard her today. LMAO. The result? Kewl….second set of wing tubes from TNT arrived today. The first set from Ziroli showed up last week. As you all may remember, I ordered two sets, because I just wasn't certain of which I wanted to use. I would have much rather had CF. But no 1 1/4" CF with sleeves can be located. The Ziroli is T6 6061 aluminum with a wall thickness of .035. I felt this would probably be sufficient. After talking to Tom at TNT, (dang nice guy) I was convinced they would not be enough for the Behemoth Mustang. So, he sent .049 wall thickness. Also T6 6061 aluminum. I gotta say, the wing tubes from TNT are about as top notch as anyone will find. (my opinion) So the Ziroli tubes will go back for credit...hmm, maybe I will have them credit them towards the sliding canopy rails for the big Stang.

20190225_190009.jpg 20190225_190039.jpg

And the main wing construction will soon begin.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Some more goodies showed up for the Ultimate today, servo arm's, 3mm ball link's, and the exhaust brackets for these monster sized cans.
Now if I could find a way to order up some time..

Attachments

• P1090291.JPG
    P1090291.JPG
    479.3 KB · Views: 401

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Oh yippie.... So the post (LADY) hammered on my door with a rather resounding "WHAM, WHAM, WHAM". (I might have complained just a wee bit too much that she never knocks or rings the bell) Well, I definitely heard her today. LMAO. The result? Kewl….second set of wing tubes from TNT arrived today. The first set from Ziroli showed up last week. As you all may remember, I ordered two sets, because I just wasn't certain of which I wanted to use. I would have much rather had CF. But no 1 1/4" CF with sleeves can be located. The Ziroli is T6 6061 aluminum with a wall thickness of .035. I felt this would probably be sufficient. After talking to Tom at TNT, (dang nice guy) I was convinced they would not be enough for the Behemoth Mustang. So, he sent .049 wall thickness. Also T6 6061 aluminum. I gotta say, the wing tubes from TNT are about as top notch as anyone will find. (my opinion) So the Ziroli tubes will go back for credit...hmm, maybe I will have them credit them towards the sliding canopy rails for the big Stang.

View attachment 109084 View attachment 109085

And the main wing construction will soon begin.
I know exactly what you mean, not long ago I was looking for a 3/4 carbon tube and sleeve. Could get the tube but the sleeve was nowhere to found so I ended up making a sleeve out of some Fiberglas wrap and epoxy it turned out pretty good, was please with results. One thing I did learn was buy the tape that has the edges sealed works much better.

Rusty 73

100cc
The PAU 120cc Ultimate manual states 1 or 2 servos rated at least at 400oz of torque.
Look guy's, I get I could probably get away with just two and depending on balance I may pull one back out. But until then I will follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

So did some digging around and found a new futaba servo with 900-1000 oz of torque

Stangflyer here's something New to play with. The Imac guys are testing and using them

https://www.GiantScaleNews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238299&page=6

Have a great evening guys

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 5.30.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 5.30.58 PM.png
    578.6 KB · Views: 349

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!