• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

What did you make with your lathe/mill today?

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Then the boring bar holder goes here.

8241271-21.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Looking for a Lathe/Mill project. While flying yesterday I decided to modify the gas cap on the Champ. When I made the cap didn't have a straight knurling tool so I used the diamond shaped tool.
20181130_152854__63068.jpg
. Found a few on the web from Harfington. Never bought from them before. Bought 1mm and 1 1/2mm pith with holder for $15.47 each. Will see how they work

IMG_0971 (1).JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
I good flying friend of mine is also into trains, he likes old Lionel and Marx trains. He always comes up with a project for me. The last one was tapping 4-40 holes in an old engine. Took about 3 minutes but he was as happy as could be. When he was here last I showed him the prototype gear I made for Steven. So he calls early in the week and says can you make me a gear? I don't know sent me a picture. He sends me these photos. He brought the pump car over yesterday so that I could measure things up. Looks to be 16 teeth per inch left hand pitch. I ordered 6" piece of 3/4" SAE 360 brass from McMaster-Carr, should be here today.

IMG_1887 (2).jpg
IMG_1896 (1).jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Have a Maytag washer from the late 80's or early 90's that would not spin. About 15 years ago we bought a high efficiency front loader, we had planned to use the old Maytag for work clothes. The high efficiency really didn't clean the cloths and if you forgot to leave the door open it really stunk. After 3 or 4 years we gave it away to one of our friends that needed a washer and put the Maytag back in full duty. So I take it apart and determine it needs a clutch brake assembly. Of course the tub bearing and the tub seal are damaged in the disassembly process. I manage to find all the parts needed at about 5 different vendors however the agitator shaft is worn in the seal area. Think about welding it up but it is steel and has some type of paint on the exposed areas to prevent corrosion. It has 6 splines, 3/4" in diameter and about 10" long. Decide to make one out of 304 SS.
The splines were cut on the mill, a 3/16" end mill was ground to the approximate profile of the spline groove, .140" wide at the bottom and .180 wide at the top. The shaft was setup in vee blocks and an ER32 hex collet holder was used to index the shaft. Took about 3 hours to cut the grooves as I didn't want to test the endmill. Took a little hand dressing with a file but fits the agitator well. The remaining features were done in the lathe. Have about $300 and two days in the repair but I expect it will last for a while. The transmission looks great inside and the rest of the washer is sound.

IMG_3059.jpg
IMG_3060.jpg
IMG_3061.jpg

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Picked up a 10’ piece of 6x4 angle iron for a job at a metal supplier and started looking at their drops and cutoff section. I threw a decent size (33 lbs) piece of steel on the scales and did the math. At $3.50 a lb I decided to put the metal back in the bin.