• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

What did you make with your lathe/mill today?

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Not wanting to blow up Steve's lathe thread so started my own. I want to make a die holder for a die that seems to be a size that I have no holder for. I've been using my mini mill to hold the little 2-56 die.

16914528542671651131245.jpg

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Anyway, to make a correct size opening for the die I found out I will need a boring bar. Well, that needs a holder so here I go.

I'll start with a 1" square piece of steel. Square means 4 jaw chuck and at 8" its heavy. I protect the ways with lumber just in case of an ooopsie.

IMG-1598.jpg

IMG-1599.jpg

Centered and drilling out for the eventual 3/8" hole.

IMG-1600.jpg

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
There are 2 primary boring bar holder designs that l liked (read minimal metal skills). I chose this one, at least temporarily. Drilled, tapped and ready to go.

IMG-1603.jpg

1691453578535861010091.jpg

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
A couple of photos of the holder cut away from the stock.

IMG-1629.jpg

IMG-1628.jpg

And a picture of one of the die handles before I tap the die holder.

My first knurling job shows the process takes some practice.

IMG-1631.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Can't tell for sure but it looks like you have a QCTP, if so why did you need to make the tool holder? I just put the boring bars right in the tool holder.