• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Wattaplane/Skywing 48" EPP/PLY hybrid Slick

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Thanks Gyro! Just did a wattmeter test and found that I am pulling 48a on the 13x6.5 with a 3s battery creating around 180 watts per pound. All other things constant, would moving up to a 4s battery drop my amperage and give me more watts?

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thanks Gyro! Just did a wattmeter test and found that I am pulling 48a on the 13x6.5 with a 3s battery creating around 180 watts. All other things constant, would moving up to a 4s battery drop my amperage and give me more watts?

Yes, sort of... but with that motor on 4s, a 13x6.5 will take you up between 850w to 950w, which might be too much.

wedoitall

180 watts? with the 13x6.5 you should be pulling 450-500. i have the same setup 2815-950 with CC ice lite 50 cept im using a 14x7 in air i average around 46 amps and i do have a peak of 56amps when i take off WOT, which i do sometimes, when i do that i have an idle of 10% on my throttle curve and i ease into the WOT. i sent my log over to Steve @ castle and he said the short burst of 56 amps is totally fine with the ice 50. he also told me he would be happy if it ran around 140 degrees F. which mine usually runs around 90 degrees with a 14x7. Ken at subsonic said that the 2815-950 will handle the 14x7, just pay attention to temps.... the motor runs cooler than the lite 50 does. saying all of that the 13x6.5 will 3d just fine, but imo 14x7 putts her round better.

your gonna love it patric, i put her at the 100 flight mark yesterday, and thats in a short amount of time. the only thing you may not like is the nylon bolts for the LG. you can make the wire gear look really nice tho, if looks are important.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Oops I meant 180 watts per pound (corrected above). Thanks for all the info. I am gonna upload some data soon on my prop and battery findings as soon as I can.

wedoitall

on the throws, i actually think they recommended 3dhs 48" throws. i pretty much have the same on 1st and 2nd rate but i have a 3rd that gives me more elevator and aileron. almost 60 degrees on elevator and 40 on ailerons.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Well I was able to get a maiden on the Watta-Slick between storm fronts here in MN. I ended up using an ICE 50 for the maiden so I was a little limited in my options for props to stay within that amperage. I'm running the Motrolfly 2820-950 its an absolute monster on this airframe.

Checking that wattmeter I found I was pulling 1170 watts @ 72a with a 13x6.5 APC on 4s :veryshocked: - figured this might be a little hard on the ESC (and the plane) so I backed down to a 12x6 APC and stuck with the 4s to create 800w @ 47a. These are all static figures of course. Bottom line is that it's a rocket with this prop and motor combo. My Dad 'willfly2' was there for the second flight of the day and was nothing but giggles when it pulled out of a hover! He now wants one :D.

I am more interested in 3D than speed, so when my new ZTW ESC gets here I will be switching to wedoitall's recommendation of a 14x7 prop and will back off to 3s and see where it goes for wattage.

All in all I am very impressed with the build, components and the overall quality of the airplane. It is undoubtedly my new favorite foamy!

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Great report Patric, glad you had a fun time at the field. That motrolfly is a real monster!

There were 3 wattaplane 48" EPPs at the field today :very shocked: and they were all flying very well. Really impressed with these planes, they definitely are getting rave reviews from the 3D community.

-G

Santi8

70cc twin V2
I'm honestly shocked at how much I love this plane.. even more shocked how enjoyable it is on 3s...