• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Wattaplane/Skywing 48" EPP/PLY hybrid Slick

Santi8

70cc twin V2
Thank you, I'm very excited!

I finally got around to putting the wire gear on this thing. Dressed it up with some of the scrap foam from the cowl, and finished it off with carbon fiber vinyl to make it look like the stock gear.. very strong gear setup, glad I grabbed it!

Santi8

70cc twin V2
Pic of the gear

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364357925062.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364357925062.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 196

wedoitall

oh wow....that looks sweet man! much better than mine.. youll like the wire gear, much better than replace'n the stock LG bolts all the time.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Hey guys, I've been eyeing up the 'slick' Wattaplanes a little and am wondering about the durability in a crash. Are these things built to take a severe beating or just slightly more than a full balsa arf? I have a EPP plane now and have piled it in numerous times doing some pretty risky things, but there is no ply in it, just foam and carbon fiber sticks.

Will these planes take a good crash, and if so what kinds of repairs are you seeing? How do they compare to the 3DHS foamies?

wedoitall

i cant compare it to a 3dhs epp. but i can tell you they are tuff. ive crashed mine from about 50ft the first time...and second time i was doing a roll to a landing and came up short on a concrete pad that sticks up about 8 inches off the ground and smacked it pretty hard. both crashes i believe woulda totalled any of my balsas.
broke motor box, cowl, and bottom of fuse between the cowl and the LG. both crashes took some CA, CF and popscicle sticks and she was good as new....

i promise ya the plane is tuff...... did you see the video of hone1r dropping his inverted and had no damage?

Santi8

70cc twin V2
About a month behind schedule, but it's ready for maiden.... did I lose the bet :-\
Omega 130
Savox 255's
Ztw lp 65a
3s 2200 20c cheap packs
Wire gear mod

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364389916811.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364389916811.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 174
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364389954188.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364389954188.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 180

econpatric

70cc twin V2
i promise ya the plane is tuff...... did you see the video of hone1r dropping his inverted and had no damage?

No do you have a link to that?

Well based on the comments and discussion, I decided to give this plane a try. I ordered the red Slick from bestvaluerc.com. I am excited to see how it goes! I will be following Santi's parts/mods list above. How's the hardware included, do I need to dig out my 3DHS control parts?

Also, what was the deal on the larger elevator servo a few pages back, is that legit or will my 65mg be ok?

Last edited by a moderator:

Santi8

70cc twin V2

Well based on the comments and discussion, I decided to give this plane a try. I ordered the red Slick from bestvaluerc.com. I am excited to see how it goes! I will be following Santi's parts/mods list above. How's the hardware included, do I need to dig out my 3DHS control parts?

Also, what was the deal on the larger elevator servo a few pages back, is that legit or will my 65mg be ok?

65mg will be fine. I didn't feel the need to enlarge the hole for the 85. Stock hardware is good but the tail wheel sits a bit too low. May consider swapping that out. Servo arms are included in the kit. The wire gear kit was purchased separately as well. Other than that you should be good to go, can't wait to fly it!

gyro

GSN Contributor

Congrats Patric! Did our official review help with your decision?

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Congrats Patric! Did our official review help with your decision?

I have been eyeing this plane up since the thread was pretty young. The review sure helped solidify my decision. I have been having so much fun with my other EPP Bipe that it was a toss up between this or the 3DHS 48" EXTRA 330 for a EPP mono plane. The week before I had the cash, 3DHS went out of stock, so I pulled the trigger on this! It seems that there are many similarities between the two.

I hope that it lives up to its durability report, cause' I'm gonna beat the tar out of it!

Last edited by a moderator: