• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

Spats

100cc
Tyler had the same problem with his Viper tubes. Pretty much if you order wing tubes, landing gear and balsa after Thanks Giving it's always a crap shoot because building season is in full swing.

I had another hour or two at the end of the day to wrap up the front of Tylers engine box and get some sheeting ready to vacuum in the AM.

Yeah, except we have no building season here in San Diego, 78 out today so I went flying for the third time this week :dancing-chicken: I'm hoping to get back to building soon like the old days.

Hi Terry,

Could you tell me what glues you were using in the engine box assembly videos?

Thanks in advance,
Angelo

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
For most of the build I started using Titebond medium CA. @Flyrcjoe started using it on his 50% builds and he has done testing and I did my own testing with great results. One benefit is you can actually clamp certain parts together and "wick" the glue into the joint, follow with another bead and apply some micro-balloons. I use a fair amount of micro-balloons to build a small fillet after letting the glue soak in a bit. This adds tremendous strength to the joint and helps prevent the joint from cracking.
Certain joints (such as engine box / firewall) I chase the tabs with thin CA after the other glues have dried. The engine box and tri-stock is installed with a non-hardening wood glue such as titebond trim and molding glue. This glue does not become brittle when dry so it stands up to vibration and stress very well. For general "wood glue" applications I prefer Gorilla wood glue over anything else that I have tried.

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
Most everything is starting to show up and I am anxious to get started but..... I ordered the wing tubes from TNT as recommended for the Slick on the 26th of December but other than an email stating they received my order I have not heard anything from them on shipping and I emailed them but have not heard back. Getting worried, is there another company that sells what the plane needs I can order from?

Thanks
I have had tubes on order since first of December. They don’t get back real fast sometimes. I asked yesterday about my order and she replied they were suppose to be getting the 1-1/2" This week.

henry b

50cc
Awesome build thread Terry, I am drooling . You know I am gonna hunt you down at the Nall 3-d line and beg for a buddy box ride . :black-eye:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Awesome build thread Terry, I am drooling . You know I am gonna hunt you down at the Nall 3-d line and beg for a buddy box ride . :black-eye:

That's a great idea, I'll have my 18x with the wireless buddy box system (that rocks by the way). Between the Orange and Yellow Vipers I think I've had 15 people fly them and it's always fun to get their reaction of the power and performance. We'll see if it pans out to get a plane there, otherwise I will be the one looking for the ride;)

Spats

100cc
I have had tubes on order since first of December. They don’t get back real fast sometimes. I asked yesterday about my order and she replied they were suppose to be getting the 1-1/2" This week.

Thanks, I am going to cancel my order with them as I called JTEC and they are shipping them today. Very nice guys to talk to at JTEC and they answer the phone!