• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Well, sounds like Tyler has big expectations for how much we are going to get done on his plane this weekend. I had a few minutes today so I started sanding some parts and may start with the main engine box assembly so we are ready to start with the fuse sides and sheeting foam when he gets here. I'll continue to prep things when I have time over the next few days.

As mentioned back at the start of my build, the birch parts are slightly thicker and require just a little sanding to fit properly. I sanded both sides and then hit the taps on these parts until they all fit together perfectly. The parts shown in these pics are the main parts that should be pre-fit before starting to assemble. All of the lite ply parts will fit in the slots without sanding.

Attachments

• _DSC0983.JPG
    _DSC0983.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 267
  • _DSC0984.JPG
    _DSC0984.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 273
  • _DSC0985.JPG
    _DSC0985.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 283
  • _DSC0986.JPG
    _DSC0986.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 308
  • _DSC0987.JPG
    _DSC0987.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 282

thelaw

70cc twin V2
@thelaw with a husband as talented as yours( and you too) is there ever a moment when you step back and think he has outdone himself?

Sometimes, but he always does a great job on anything he applies his mind too!

But you should talk, I have personally witnessed you rebuilding planes that have been in two pieces, more than once, and make them look like nothing ever happened!!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I'll try to get a few more things started over the next couple days to make this go as smooth as possible.
So here is the plan for the weekend depending on how many work interruptions I get:

Thursday:
- Assemble fuse complete, or nearly complete.
- Install wing tube phenolics
- Install carbon re-reinforcements and spar extension into wings.
- Lay out sheeting, Edge tape and prep for sheeting
- Sheet rudder and turtle deck at least.

Friday:
- Sheet wings first thing.
- Join cowl halves, install cowl ring
- Assemble servo boxes
- Assemble SFG's
- Install rudder and turtle deck
- Assemble hatch

Saturday:
- LE and TE stock on
- Hard points in wing roots and tips
- Install belly pan
- Landing gear plate and tailwheel install
- Set incidences
- Cut surfaces
- Cap foam and install hinge stock.

Wrap up:
- Trim hinge stock
- Rest of foam caps
- drill hinges

Spats

100cc
Terry my friend, I have a question for you.
After your advice on glues I decided to get a vacuum system. I am going to do just a small amount of foam removal for weight. I saw Rick used carbon fiber strips on his build a while back with the Slick. Do you know where I can get some?

Your build is the shintz, very nice.

Thank you

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
After your advice on glues I decided to get a vacuum system. I am going to do just a small amount of foam removal for weight. I saw Rick used carbon fiber strips on his build a while back with the Slick. Do you know where I can get some?
Thank you

Good man, you'll love the vacuum system!!! I do hope you'll post a few pics along the way on the Hyperlite thread! I started the thread when the website just started so I did not do a lot of description, but here it is: http://giantscalenews.com/threads/fibertech-hyperlite-slick-sort-of-build-thread.157/

I did some carbon layup on there but here are some pics form my Viper #3 build from last summer. What I use is .007 unidirectional carbon from here: http://www.acpsales.com/.007-Unidirectional-Carbon-Fiber-Laminates.html You can either install it with resin at the same time as sheeting or you can install it with wood glue and during the vacuuming resin will be drawn around the backside of it. Check out page 38 of this thread where I start the sheeting process and talk about the carbon and how I use it. http://giantscalenews.com/threads/viper-st-100-120cc-scratch-build-it-continues.884/page-38

Here are a few pics from the yellow Viper, I plan to do this again on my next build as well since the first tests have been performing great.

Attachments

• _DSC1115.JPG
    _DSC1115.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 270
  • _DSC1116.JPG
    _DSC1116.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 266
  • _DSC1130.JPG
    _DSC1130.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 280
  • _DSC1133.JPG
    _DSC1133.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 287
  • _DSC1161.JPG
    _DSC1161.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 260
  • _DSC1193.JPG
    _DSC1193.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 301

Spats

100cc
Terry,
Thank you, as usual very god info. Just ordered some. I have most everything arriving this week. I like to have it all in hand before I start. I will definitely put up some pics:)

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry,
Thank you, as usual very god info. Just ordered some. I have most everything arriving this week. I like to have it all in hand before I start. I will definitely put up some pics:)

Cool, I'm subd to that thread yet so will keep an eye out. If you hit any speed-bumps I'm sure we'll be able to get ya through!

Fibertech

70cc twin V2

Thank you

The Carbon Terry is using is probably a little user friendly. The stuff I use is off a huge roll of Carbon cloth that I have had for a long time.

Spats

100cc
The Carbon Terry is using is probably a little user friendly. The stuff I use is off a huge roll of Carbon cloth that I have had for a long time.

Thank you, yeah I ordered what Terry said and it looks easy to work with. Just need to pick up the West System stuff today.