• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper 120cc ARF is HERE!!!!!

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Thanks Terry & Herve !! Actually, I don't know yet if I can get them like in your video cause I don't even know yet how to operate the SmartFly. I'm hoping in the spring I can get a friend over here to help me figure it all out. I thought with the amp meter now I should be able to get all the srvos to not fight each other & not drain my batteries down so fast, I think that's what I'm trying to accomplish. I wish I has seen the Viper before I bought this plane last year, ha, maybe down the road I can get one !!
Thanks again, John !!

js-rc

70cc twin V2
You can set center and end points

Yes & thanks but now I have to figure out that massaging in the middle that Terry mentioned & figure out how to operate the SF. I really cant get the plane together down here in the basement, ha ! Like the guy who built a boat in the basement & then couldn't get it out !!
Thanks again Yakken !!

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
OK, I've never used a smart fly before because I don't fly Futaba or other radios that don't have a power safe RX for. Even if you are running a smart fly would you not do everything in the video I showed to mechanically match them BEFORE doing anything in the smart fly??

Can you massage the mid-points like I did in the end of my video using the smart fly? Just curious, like I say I've never touched one but the statement "you will be able to program the servo centers and end points" has me confused. Especially the programmed centers as that sounds like sub-trim. Just curious.
Terry,

The ability to program multiple servo outputs is another motive for people to use a Smartfly device. You still need to mechanically match the servos first. But is you Y connect multiple servos, it is almost impossible to match the throws. (some) Smartfly devices, or JR Match Box, or Futaba MSA-10 allow to refine the servo matching for those who have radios systems with less channels that servos.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Yes & thanks but now I have to figure out that massaging in the middle that Terry mentioned & figure out how to operate the SF. I really cant get the plane together down here in the basement, ha ! Like the guy who built a boat in the basement & then couldn't get it out !!
Thanks again Yakken !!

You don't have to worry about massaging the middle unless you have the capability to do so in your transmitter. The most important part is the center and end points. The surfaces flex enough to soak up that little bit in the middle and in the end it's only maybe about 50mah per flight unless, like I said if you go to half travel or low rates and you see a spike higher than .2 amps. Then you may want to try to adjust more mechanically. Most likely not needed though.

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Thanks again Terry !! I sure learned a lot from all your threads & hope I didn't derail the main focus on this thread !!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Well, I got the two Vipers I'm building all wrapped up today. Super excited with final weight.

NOTE: Both mine had the wing tube about 1/8" too long, I talked with Herve and he wanted to make sure to note that. He has addressed it with the factory. If anyone needs help cutting theirs PLEASE PM ME and I can give you a couple tips. We have not confirmed if they are all like that in this first batch.

I tidied up the wiring for both and also installed a low pressure lip on the bottom and cut out two bays for air extraction. This is a highly effective way to basically "suck" air out of the fuse.

All up weights:
Yellow Viper with J&J tail-wheel, White rose wheels and no pants (yet) = 26lb. 5oz.
Green Viper with stock tailwheel, stock wheels and wheel pants on = 26lb 11oz.

These are going to be ballistic performers with DA120's on the nosehttp://www.GiantScaleNews.com/forums/images/smilies/200.gifhttp://www.GiantScaleNews.com/forums/images/smilies/198.gif

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 267
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 293
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 290
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 312
  • _DSC0430.JPG
    _DSC0430.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 284

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Well, I got the two Vipers I'm building all wrapped up today. Super excited with final weight.

NOTE: Both mine had the wing tube about 1/8" too long, I talked with Herve and he wanted to make sure to note that. He has addressed it with the factory. If anyone needs help cutting theirs PLEASE PM ME and I can give you a couple tips. We have not confirmed if they are all like that in this first batch.

I tidied up the wiring for both and also installed a low pressure lip on the bottom and cut out two bays for air extraction. This is a highly effective way to basically "suck" air out of the fuse.

All up weights:
Yellow Viper with J&J tail-wheel, White rose wheels and no pants (yet) = 26lb. 5oz.
Green Viper with stock tailwheel, stock wheels and wheel pants on = 26lb 11oz.

These are going to be ballistic performers with DA120's on the nosehttp://www.GiantScaleNews.com/forums/images/smilies/200.gifhttp://www.GiantScaleNews.com/forums/images/smilies/198.gif

We had to shorten the wing tube on Marks before he flew it Sunday. It flew awesome! Very light. DA120 / Viper outperformed my DA120/104 in stability/wing rock. My 104 is 28.5 lbs and IMO does not like the weight and increased wing loading. As far as DA 120 knowing the difference in weight.......NOPE. Viper lands way better than the 104 too!